Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bronte?

I think the sound of it is super harsh and unattractive... just makes me think of "brawny" and "brontosaurus". I did know a girl named Bronte, she was rather quirky so I guess she pulled it off. But I still really don't like it! :/
    Favourites at the moment ♥

Leah, Scarlett, Sophie, Claire, Vivian, Madeleine, Evangeline, Selena, Gillian, Nina, Mila, Heidi, Isla, Hazel, Annabelle, Lydia, Celia, Violet, Genevieve
    Elias, Eli, Dominic, Thatcher, Graham, Noel, Nolan, Chase, Mattias, Dean, Cole, Blake, Daniel, Ash, Rhys, Julian, Callum, Kieran, Aidan, Ronan

I wouldn't use it unless I was really familiar with the authors and their work. I think it's a little silly when people name kids after famous people they don't know much about (hence the "pretentiousness"). I see the appeall, though — it sounds pleasant enough and the sisters were pretty remarkable women.

That being said, all I see i brontossaurus.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

I like Bronte. But I also like Brunhilde.
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

Not my style I'm afraid, I'm just not keen on surnames as given names -especially one which will have just one association for most people and I agree it has a harsh sound (Patrick Bronte is supposed to have changed the pronunciation from 'Brunty'.

If you love the Brontes I much prefer:

Charlotte
    Anne
    Emily

Or...

Maria
    Catherine
    Lucy
    Jane
    Shirley
    Helen
    Thrilled to be mother to @gnes Ei1ish Madeline and Fe1icity Bridget Be@trice

If we'd had boys the list was: Godfrey, Seamus, Alexander, Michael, Felix, Peter, Ignatius & Sebastian.

I know two girls with the name bronte and it works well for them, I personally don't love the name but I prefer much more feminine names. I think paired with a pretty longer middle name it would be beautiful
    Perhaps bronte Elizabeth or bronte Margaret