Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maya Cox???

Maya Cox???

My husband and I are expecting our first child in September - our last name is Cox. The name Maya is very special to us - we both love it and it has a special meaning to us (maya means "love" in the Nepali language - we met and fell in love in Nepal.) It is really the only name that I can imagine naming our daughter. But, our last name is Cox. Are we setting her up for a lifetime of humiliation (or even just really bad teasing) with the name "Maya Cox" ??

If we don't use it as a first name, we will definitely use it as a middle name due to its symbolic meaning for us and would want a first name that begins with E, F, or J (we follow my family's tradition of naming after deceased relatives - but only using their first initial, not the whole name - so the letters we're working with are E, F, J, and M - but reserving M for Maya...) If you think "Maya Cox" is just too terrible to use, we would love to hear your suggestions for other first names with these initials - knowing that Maya would be the middle name and last name Cox.

Thank you!! I have been lurking on Nameberry for months and love all of your wonderful suggestions.

I dont think Maya Cox sounds bad.

I think unfortunately some kids might latch onto "Cox" anyway, no matter what the first name is.

Maya is really pretty. You should use it.

Maya is something I'd avoid if my last name was Cox. It's a gorgeous name but sounds too much like a sentence with your surname.

I'd probably try to find a name that didn't sound like a sentence.

It's not one of your letters but Lydia is similar to Maya and doesn't have the sentence sound like Maya does.

Emma
    Eleanor

Felicity
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

While I love the name Maya, and think it's great that it has special meaning to you, I think, in this case, it should be reserved for the middle. 'Cox', no matter what, is already setting her up to get teased. Adding May (I'm assuming you're pronouncing it My-uh) infront of it make it sound like 'My Cox'.
    Ian Alexander Cameron Blaise Damien Cole Axel Sean Callum Bryce Lennox Beau
    Blair Annevieve Camryn Atalya Piper Caydence Tallulah Sage Senna Kai Haven Lux

I love Maya too, but unfortunately I agree with auburn and scarlet--I'd avoid it with Cox. Amaya doesn't really fix the problem, but you could consider Aya, Alaia, etc. I guess those don't follow your initial rules, though.

Things that do: Eliana, Fiona, Juliet
    Last edited by geeknamezyo; June 2nd, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Belphoebe Cosima Sybella Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr