Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A new girl name to add to the Nameberry list?

I was thinking the other day of all the beautiful cities I've travelled to around the world (not even about baby names because I'm not pregnant!), when it occurred to me that 'Vienna' is quite a pretty name for a little girl. It's a lovely city of Austria, and of course a hit song from the 80's! I can't see that's it's very popular though. A nice change from the increasingly popular Sienna, Violet, Vivienne, but similar romantic sound. What do you think?

We might as well talk about other 'place' names while we're at it...what are some 'cities' or 'places' you're suprised haven't become popular as baby names?
    Last edited by erinm; June 1st, 2013 at 11:35 PM.

I went to school with a Vienna. I is very pretty.
    I also know a Geneva.
    Although its nms I'm surprised that Persia is not more common.

Vienna would be great except for the Vienna Sausage association. I still think it's nice and could work though.

Other little known place names: Clovis (CA), Greeley (CO), Grady (NM), Camden (NJ).

I know a little girl named Vienna and I agree it's very pretty. The only downside that I can see is that it doesn't seem very versatile to me. It would suit a sweet, ultra-feminine girl very well, but I can hardly see it on a rough-and-tumble tomboy. Since there is no guaranteeing what a child will turn out to be, it could potentially be seen as a bit of an "expectation" name. But I really do like its sound and origin.

As for non-popular place names, my all time favourites are:
    Geneva
    Asia
    Sicily
    Arcadia
    Odessa
    Rio (as in de Janeiro)
    Havana
    Holland/Ireland
    Verona
    Sydney
    Catalina
    ~Izzy, looking for a new nickname
    Currently Loving: Romilly, Esme, Piper, Helia, Scout..Rhett, Colin, Rhys, Adrian, Jonah

Agreed! Vienna is on my list, too, I think it's a great one. The rest of the geographical names on my list are more...far-fetched...but here they are:

Aspen
    Berlin
    Denver
    Havana
    Hudson
    Mojave
    Nevada
    Salem
    Sonoma