• Ellina

7 10.00%
  • Other -post below

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help! Need spelling help. New POLL

Posting again because I messed up my poll sorry

I need help with spelling.

I want the name pronounced "Ellen-ah". Like Eleanor but with an A instead of n OR. The emphasis is on the first syllable. EL-en-ah. I DONT want E-lay-na

How would you spell that?

Elena
    Ellena
    Elenna
    Eleana
    Ellina
    Elinna

Any other suggestions?

Hi there!

Ooh, this is a tough one! I went with Ellena from your choices but I'm really not sure I would pronounce that one the way your hoping for. Maybe Ellenah? Or maybe that's too much... tough call! I'm sure other Berries will have some great advice though
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

Ellenna seems the most likely to get the pronunciation you're looking for...double n prevents the lay or lee sounds, and double l keeps it with the Ellen beginning, whereas only one L could lead to ee-lenna.

I think Helena would be preferable, though. Same pronunciation but with an h...would still honor an Ellen, if that's what you're aiming for, since Ellen is a variation of Helen...and it's a real, accepted name...and a gorgeous one, too.

I voted Ellena, but I wouldn't go with any of them personally. Apart from Elena (which I love but pronounce eh-LAY-nah) they all look horribly mashed and made-up. My sister is Eleanor and I don't pronounce it with OR on the end, I pronounce it with an A on the end and so does everybody else. Eleanore would have the OR on the end. I'm not sure if this is true for everyone, if it is true for the British only or if it is as select as being only in my county. I have this has helped, do some more digging and find out how people around you pronounce Eleanor and how they personally would pronounce EL-en-ah.
    Current Loves: Tobias Henry and Sebastian Keith

I would just stick with the classic spelling of Elena and correct people if needed. The rest of the invented spellings may be mispronounced as well. I would pronounce the ones ending in "ina" as "eena" and Eleana (ee-lee-an-ah).
    All the best,
    Mischa.