Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Honouring

Honouring

Would you honour someone by naming your child after them?
    Is there certain people you should stay away from? Is it okay if you aren't related to them? Or if they are a fictional character or celebrity?
    If you name one child after someone do you have to name all you children after someone?
    Are you limited in names if you chose to honour someone?

Just want your opinions. Any other information is helpful.
    • teenberry • Australia •

Emmanuelle Sofia - Freja Constantina - Iris Elettra - Lysandra Fleur
    Anton Rafael - Uriah Ambrose - Felix Ignatius
    Considering:
    Ursula - Inez - Solomon - Ezekiel (Zeke)

"And in that moment, I swear, we were infinite" - Stephen Chbosky

Would you honour someone by naming your child after them? Yes. Not completely though. E.g. if I had a brother/father/uncle etc called John George Smith, I would not name my son John George Smith [Surname]. I would probably use George [Surname] or [First Name] John [Surname]. Or perhaps Joanna or Georgina. I'd like future kiddos to have a little originality in their names.

Is there certain people you should stay away from? Obviously any black sheep of the family Personally, I wouldn't use the same first names as any living relative. I might use their name as a middle if I loved it enough though

Is it okay if you aren't related to them? Or if they are a fictional character or celebrity? Yeah, I suppose. If it's your closest friend or someone very meaningful to you. Fictional charcters are cute! Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, Alice in Wonderland... With celebrities I think it depends. If you've got the hots for George Clooney and think Clooney would make an excellent name- no. But if it's someone who's famous for doing something wonderful (Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela etc) then I think you're ok.

If you name one child after someone do you have to name all you children after someone? Nope. At the moment, my boy combos all honour family in some way, but my girl ones don't. And I know of plenty of siblings where the eldest is given a family name and the others aren't. Perhaps the other siblings might feel a little left out, but if you have special reasons for every name you pick (even if you just love it) then it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Are you limited in names if you chose to honour someone? Personally, I'm not. I'm lucky enough to have a lot of good people to honour and they all have names inkeeping with my style. I think some people do feel limited, but you can be creative with honouring. Say your mum is called Elizabeth Margaret. There's a lot you can do with that- all the different forms of Elizabeth and Margaret present themselves as honouring names: Eliza, Beth, Betsy, Libby, Isabella, Meg, Pearl, Margot etc. Or you could just use the initials and have a Eloise Magnolia or Esther Millicent
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

Would you honour someone by naming your child after them? I don't think it's a must for me but I will definitely consider it. My family has a 2nd mn tradition where we give each child a name from a particular culture to honour a particular ancestor.

Is there certain people you should stay away from? Is it okay if you aren't related to them? Or if they are a fictional character or celebrity? I don't think I would name my child after a real person I don't know aka celebrity. However, I would consider naming my child after someone who had a profound impact on my life weather they be real or fictional.

If you name one child after someone do you have to name all you children after someone? I don't think you have to, but I think I would.

Are you limited in names if you chose to honour someone? To some extent yes, but there are many ways to choose a name to honour someone. Full name, variant of a name, the name in a different language, first initial, first and middle initial, favorite flower or favorite animal, etc. So, yes it does restrict you, but that doesn't make your options completely limited.
    Aurelia - Endora - Illyria - Lorelei - Merida - Ofelia - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Zenobia
    Alaric - Anton - Cedric - Dexter - Erich - Felix - Hector - Hendrik - Leonidas - Victor
    Engaged to the best Man in the World. (God-mama to Lawrence, a little bundle of sunshine).

Would you honour someone by naming your child after them?
    I'd consider it, particularly to honor my mother or brother, but I probably wouldn't in the end. I don't have an honoring name, and I didn't use one for my son.

Is there certain people you should stay away from? Is it okay if you aren't related to them? Or if they are a fictional character or celebrity?
    I think it's a personal choice, but I would only honor my closest family members who have had a profound impact on my life. Anyone else, like an author or historical figure who has inspired me, would have to be long dead for me to consider it. I'd be too afraid to honor a living celebrity; they so often end up disappointing you.

If you name one child after someone do you have to name all you children after someone?
    I don't think so.

Are you limited in names if you chose to honour someone?
    You're only as limited as you want to be. If you want a first and middle name both taken straight from your family tree and not altered in anyway, then, yes, your choices are more limited. The more flexible you are in honoring, the more unlimited your options are.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra