Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Honouring

Honouring

Would you honour someone by naming your child after them?
    Is there certain people you should stay away from? Is it okay if you aren't related to them? Or if they are a fictional character or celebrity?
    If you name one child after someone do you have to name all you children after someone?
    Are you limited in names if you chose to honour someone?

Just want your opinions. Any other information is helpful.
    • teenberry • Australia •

Iris Elettra - Delfina Inez - Freja Constantina - Emmanuelle Demeter
    Anton Rafael - Uriah Solomon - Ezekiel Ambrose (Zeke)

"And in that moment, I swear, we were infinite" - Stephen Chbosky

Would you honour someone by naming your child after them? I don't think it's a must for me but I will definitely consider it. My family has a 2nd mn tradition where we give each child a name from a particular culture to honour a particular ancestor.

Is there certain people you should stay away from? Is it okay if you aren't related to them? Or if they are a fictional character or celebrity? I don't think I would name my child after a real person I don't know aka celebrity. However, I would consider naming my child after someone who had a profound impact on my life weather they be real or fictional.

If you name one child after someone do you have to name all you children after someone? I don't think you have to, but I think I would.

Are you limited in names if you chose to honour someone? To some extent yes, but there are many ways to choose a name to honour someone. Full name, variant of a name, the name in a different language, first initial, first and middle initial, favorite flower or favorite animal, etc. So, yes it does restrict you, but that doesn't make your options completely limited.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Would you honour someone by naming your child after them?
    I'd consider it, particularly to honor my mother or brother, but I probably wouldn't in the end. I don't have an honoring name, and I didn't use one for my son.

Is there certain people you should stay away from? Is it okay if you aren't related to them? Or if they are a fictional character or celebrity?
    I think it's a personal choice, but I would only honor my closest family members who have had a profound impact on my life. Anyone else, like an author or historical figure who has inspired me, would have to be long dead for me to consider it. I'd be too afraid to honor a living celebrity; they so often end up disappointing you.

If you name one child after someone do you have to name all you children after someone?
    I don't think so.

Are you limited in names if you chose to honour someone?
    You're only as limited as you want to be. If you want a first and middle name both taken straight from your family tree and not altered in anyway, then, yes, your choices are more limited. The more flexible you are in honoring, the more unlimited your options are.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra