Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I would consider pronunciation issues even more than I do already. I would opt for something short, easy to say, recognizable. If I had a love for longer, frillier names (which I do not) I would consider something like Catherine which is so familiar or Elizabeth. Plus they can nn to something short & cute like Kit or Lizzie.

I grew up near a child with quite a severe case of Down Syndrome. He really couldn't speak much. I can only guess what it stood for, but he always went by A.J.. It suited him perfectly and it really meant a lot that he could say his name. In his case, that was worth way more than flow, meaning, sib-sets, popularity, or anything else. I would choose a name that was simple, straight forward, easy to say/pronounce/spell, but wouldn't keep him/her from reaching his potential.
    Mom to Henry, Mollie, Gideon, and expecting Clark Ebenezer in November.

It's not something I've ever considered but I'd probably stick with my name choices because they're pretty simple to say and spell anyway for the most part. If I had a liking for frillier, longer names I'd make sure there was a good nickname that I'd be happy to use and that would be easier for my child and their friends. I had a speech impediment as a child though and I know there were sounds I struggled to say for several years - I don't remember what they were but I'm sure my mum would remember, so if I knew my child would likely have speech/learning problems at birth I'd probably look at names with easier sounds in them. A lot of things take a while to diagnose though, like autism, so a child would have already been named by that point.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Going along with what the others said about making sure the name (or nickname) is easily pronounceable, I might also want to adjust my name choice to something that has has a special meaning of sentiment given the situation.

This is something I have thought about, and I find myself agreeing with the original poster. I think I would feel inclined to give a strong, easily pronounced, popular name. Even though we as name nerds love all kinds of names, including uncommon, unique, and intricate names, I think it's harder for real people to pull off/wear some of the names we like as name nerds. I would not want to put that pressure on a child when they will already have pressures of their own. Also, in a time when we value standing out and standing apart from everyone else, I can't help but think that giving a name to a child with special needs will make him or her stand out more than he or she already would, and maybe not in a positive way to their peers. I think it's important for all children to feel they are a part of a community, and I especially think it's important for children with special needs, so I would want to give him or her a name that is well-recieved at large in the community to promote further acceptance.
    Current Favorites:
    Elizabeth Lily nn Ellie
    Mary Emmeline nn Maisie
    Sarah Evangeline nn Sadie

Nathaniel nn Nate