Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I think I get where you're coming from. A long frilly name for a child who may have intellectual or speech troubles may be harder for the child. I suspect a nickname would soon develop in this case.

But I guess choose what makes you proud and they will make it their own.
    Phoebe Eliza Grace arrived after 2 Years of IVF

I would use the same name I had planned on using. Otherwise, for me, it would be like saying my child wasn't worthy of having my perfect name because they are "different," and that would break my heart!

I would never judge someone who chose to pick a different name, though. Everyone has to deal with that sort of situation in their own way, and I totally respect that. For what it's worth, I work with young children with disabilities for a living, so I have a different perspective. Even kids with very severe delays/disabilities are usually able to learn, grow, and develop! So having a daughter with Down Syndrome who had a tough time saying Rosemary, (which she probably would,) would not bother me in the least. Because I know it's something we could work on and improve over time.
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Eve, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora, Fawn
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Casper, Leopold

Tintri should know this, but I thought there were specific sounds that DS children had a great deal of difficulty saying due to larger, more protruding tongues and smaller mandibles. Ps, maybe? Anyway, I absolutely would not choose a long name with a difficult spelling or one with sounds hat will be especially difficult for the child to make. One's name is one of the most common and earliest words one says, and I think it would be incredibly frustrating for the child not to be able to clearly pronounce it, to always have listeners say "what?," etc. It might be even more stigmatizing and make the child feel worse about himself. Also, SN kids usually have SN friends and peers, and you want those children to be able to say their name, too.

Having a child with SN would be a long series of adjustments and I see no reason why a name would be excepted.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

I just wanted to say that this is a really interesting question that never even would have occurred to me. Thank you for asking it and making me think Moonkai!
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

I think I would choose a shorter, stronger name to make it easier for the child, and to signify strength.
    Madison, 14-year-old name nerd! My style is all over the place, my favorites change all the time.

Boys: David, Eric, Finlay, George, James, Jude, Lee, Michael, Paul, Richard, Rory.

Girls: Emmanuelle, Frederica, Jayne, Juliet, Lauren, Mary, Molly, Nora, Raffaela, Stella.