Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A bit of a sensitive subject

So one of my coworkers has a son with autism, and it got me to thinking if I would name a special needs child the same types of names as my other kids. Obviously, autism isnt something you can know that your child has when he/she is born, but I am thinking down's syndrome and similar. Please know that I am attempting to broach this subject with tact, I was just thinking about it recently. I am not sure I would want to saddle a kid with the type of long, elaborate names that I generally like if I knew in advance that my child would have more difficulties in life already. I'd probably want to give them a name that is very pronounceable and strong.

Thoughts?
    Baby boy due October 2014! Current tentative name:

Sequoia Orion

My brother has Down Syndrome (diagnosed at birth, but genetic testing results took 6 weeks) and my parents gave him the name they planned on using the entire time. Having a brother with special needs I have been many special needs children and adults, they all have names as individual as varying as they themselves are and I think their names suit them.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jazz1509 View Post
    My brother has Down Syndrome (diagnosed at birth, but genetic testing results took 6 weeks) and my parents gave him the name they planned on using the entire time. Having a brother with special needs I have been many special needs children and adults, they all have names as individual as varying as they themselves are and I think their names suit them.
    Thank you for the input. I suppose we all have our own unique struggles, and our names don't change that
    Baby boy due October 2014! Current tentative name:

Sequoia Orion

My cousin was born at 27 weeks, 24 years ago, he has Cerebral Palsy as a result of decreased oxygen to his brain. Upon discovering that their child would live life with hardship my aunty and uncle decided that the name they had chosen, Brody, was too soft for a child with special needs, they wanted a stronger name so they chose Vaughn.

Personally, I would go ahead with the named I loved and planned for. I think that even if a child is born with special needs they are still the same baby that was in the womb all along, they shouldn't get a new name because of their disability. I'd rather them know that their name was chosen because I loved it, rather than because I found out they had a disability and needed a name that fit. My cousin has never let his disability define him and I wouldn't want it to define my child either. But, hey, that's just my opinion. It's a touchy subject and a decision I couldn't make until I actually met my baby.

Mim
    Last edited by mim; June 1st, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
    Just Dreaming....
    Ladies: Lila, Poppy, Matilda, Florence, Imogen, Eulalie, Grace, Marigold, Hermione, Gemma, Celia, Violet and Willa
    Gentlemen: Jack, Harrison, Maxwell, Hugo, Otto, Lincoln, Felix, Tristan, Charlie, Ned/Ted/Ed/Edward, Oliver and August

I think I get where you're coming from. A long frilly name for a child who may have intellectual or speech troubles may be harder for the child. I suspect a nickname would soon develop in this case.

But I guess choose what makes you proud and they will make it their own.
    BABY GIRL FINALLY DUE 5 October after 2 Years of IVF
    Delivery booked: Debuting on or before 26th September!

Current favourite "top" 3 girls names for little Miss: Phoebe Rose Eloise
    Other (MNs probably) we like: Matilda Madeleine Charlotte Eliza Violet Kate Jade Elizabeth Iris Scarlett Felicity Chloe

Current (but never to be used...) favourite boy names: Oliver Thomas Henry William Alexander Flynn Liam Hugo Isaac Bennett Nikolai Reid Edward nn Ned Gus Tobias Austin Blake