Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Marguerite or Flora?

Hello,

I'm currently 28 weeks and I've spent this whole pregnancy agonising over these two names... one day I'm completely sold on Marguerite, the next day it simply must be Flora (We don't know the sex and boys are even harder!). I absolutely adore both names - they are the clear front runners if this baby turns out to be another girl. I guess the hardest part is leaving one of them behind. It doesn't help that my husband doesn't have a clear favourite, either (although I think he might be leaning towards the simpler Flora).

So... which one do I let go??

I love the chic sophistication of Marguerite and I enjoy (but don't LOVE) the nn options of Margot and Maggie. I feel like this name is such an elegant, underused classic. The downside is that it's quite long and would most likely be shorted to a nn most of the time. (The combination of Marguerite Edith is pretty set in stone as Edith is a family name. I know the flow isn't perfect, but I'm not too concerned about it.)

Flora I love for it's simple and sweet nature, yet there's substance and history to back it up. I can't imagine the need to shorten this to anything... it seems so wearable and rolls off the tongue. I love the imagery... but will it age well? Is it as striking as Marguerite? (Flora Edith or Flora Winifred are possible combos here).

Can't wait to hear your opinions! Thank you!

Flora is my favorite it of the two. Like you said, it's sweet but it has substantial history. Marguerite, while still very pretty, is also very heavy. Marguerite Edith seems like a weighty name. Flora Edith or Flora Winifred has a nice balance between the sweet and soft and the beautiful and sturdy.
    Hope that helps and the best of luck!
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by aj_bear View Post
    Flora is my favorite it of the two. Like you said, it's sweet but it has substantial history. Marguerite, while still very pretty, is also very heavy. Marguerite Edith seems like a weighty name. Flora Edith or Flora Winifred has a nice balance between the sweet and soft and the beautiful and sturdy.
    Hope that helps and the best of luck!
    Thanks... I see Flora in your signature (along with so many other favourites!)

I really like both! Marguerite has nn options of Maisie, Daisy, Rita, Margie to name a few... I wouldn't let the nn thing be a reason not to choose it! With the middle names in the mix I would lean toward Flora as she flows better with both Edith and Winifred! My vote goes to Flora Winifred by an inch though I really like Flora Edith too... I think Edie and Winnie are too of the most adorable nn's going if you were willing to consider either up front!

I agree, Flora is just soft and sweet. Marguerite is pretty but it can be shortened and it is just a very strong name. I vote for Flora! I think it will age well too!