Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Julian: Boyish enough? Or too girlie? Nickname thoughts?

I adore the name Julian and it is also my husband's Grandfather's name. However, I am hesitating to use the name for I fear that - even though Julian is a boy name through and through - a little Julian may be teased for his name's similarity to the girl's names Julie, Julianne, Julia, etc. I also fear that people may see the name and automatically think that Julian is a girl. In fact, I remember reading on the forum once that someone's son who was named Julian was sometimes mistaken for a girl when only his name was mentioned.

Please be honest:
    1. Would you use the name Julian for a boy?
    2. (Maybe the better question is - would you ever use it for a girl or have you heard it used for a girl?)
    3. Would you hesitate based on its similarity to the girl names?
    4. Would you fear that he would be teased?
    5. Do you know of any boys named Julian and whether they've teased about their name and/or have it mistaken as a girl's name?
    6. Does it sound like a masculine boy's name to you?
    7. What nickname would you use for Julian?
    8. Do you know of many little Julians in your area and/or in general?

Thanks so much, Berries!
    Last edited by lubberlou; May 31st, 2013 at 01:28 PM.

It is a boy's name, however, I totally understand your concern. To me, it does have a slightly softer less masculine feel to it. It is more metro that manly. I do like the name, but would never use it. Could you use it in the middle?

I just double-checked the SSA stats, and Julian ranks higher for boys (#53) than any of the feminine forms rank for girls. Julian is a strong, dashing name for a boy, but yes - on the softer side of masculine. I don't consider it feminine, although I have met a handful of women named Julie Ann or Julianne. Honestly, I feel like the effemiphobia is very uncalled for. Julian is a familiar male name, and it's likely that your son will go to school with at least one other Julian. Occasionally someone might see his name on paper and mistake him for a girl, but who cares? That isn't going to make him less of a boy. I don't even know that name teasing is a thing anymore; regardless, if your son is going to get teased, he's going to get teased regardless of what you name him.

I've heard Julian nn Jude before. Not sure of the connection between Julian and Jude though. If you aren't sold on Julian, what about Julius? I prefer Julian myself though.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James Alexander
    ♀ | Jane Anne Helen Caroline Phoebe Georgia Gwen Sylvie

I adore Julian. It's stylish, handsome, and classic. Plus you have a family connection. I went to school with 2 Julians and it never occurred to us to tease them for their names. In fact, one of them told us he was concerned his name sounded like a girl's name and I remember not being able to figure out why. I know one small Julian too and it suits him perfectly. It's a boys name. Don't worry.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

1. Would you use the name Julian for a boy? Maybe, but probably for a middle name. I'm not a big fan.
    2. (Maybe the better question is - would you ever use it for a girl or have you heard it used for a girl?) No, but I know a lot of Julies, Julias, Juliannes, and Juliannas... I think the issue would more be that if you just see it quickly, it would be easy to read it incorrectly and say one of the feminine versions...
    3. Would you hesitate based on its similarity to the girl names? Maybe, but not a lot. After all, this is a well-established boys' name.
    4. Would you fear that he would be teased? No, but I'm from S. Texas, where this is a well-established name.
    5. Do you know of any boys named Julian and whether they've teased about their name and/or have it mistaken as a girl's name? No, and I've known a number of Julians (one Asian, and countless Hispanics).
    6. Does it sound like a STRONG boy's name to you? Not particularly... I find it to be a slightly introverted, nerdy name.
    7. What nickname would you use for Julian? Ian, Jules.
    8. Do you know of many little Julians in your area and/or in general? Yes, but where I'm from the J is pronounced like an H. I strongly associate it with Hispanic culture... which isn't a bad thing. Although it's not my favourite name, I also don't see it as being at all strange.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina