Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How do you pronounce Clara?

Being American, I pronounce Claire sort of like Clayr. I personally pronounce Clara, Cla-rah with the first a sounding like the a in Harris. I am afraid it will be pronounced Clayr-ah. What do you think?

I am trying to decide whether to keep it on our short(er) list. I have already removed Violet, since the more I said it, the less I liked it for my child. Everyone's input has helped so much!

Now we have:

Marie
    Anna
    Helena (He-leh-na)
    Vera
    Rose/Rosemarie
    Clara?

In Australia, we pronounce it "Clar-ah"...the first part rhyming with Car...if you know what I mean.

I pronounce it as I do my own name, but with an "uh" at the end: "Claire (ryhmes with air) + uh".

I love the name, and would use it in a heart beat if my name weren't Claire!
    Matilda, Vera, Beatrix, June, Eleanor, Cordelia, Adelaide, Elisabeth, Leona, Daphne, Kathryn

Edwin, Frederick, Calvin, Arthur, Walter, Rowan, Winston, Desmond, Keith, Robert

I pronounce Clara with a long a, like Claire-ah. I have lived in FL, CA, and now NC and all of the Claras I've known have pronounced it this way. I think Cla-rah with a short a is more of the European way to say it?

I love all of the names on your list! I don't think you can go wrong here, if that helps.

I pronounce Claire and Clara the same, that being said I also pronounce Harris with the same 'air' sound as Claire.... The only other pronunciation I've heard for Clara is more like Klah-ruh with an Ah sound close to the pronunciation of 'are'? Is that the pronunciation you're going for?
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot