Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    See, that's the problem I have with Poppy. I am an Aussie and everyone hear uses "Poppy" for their grandfathers too. But I think it's popular enough that it works and you won't get very many queer looks. I think it works well with Maple. Your taste is interesting as both those names (in my mind) portray this imagery of red

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

I have a male family member with the nickname Poppy so I see it as masculine but it could definitely work for a girl as a nn or full name. Maple & Poppy/Penelope "Poppy" are great together!
    Dayton.19.*Hopeful* Future Mom
    Naming future twinkles...
    Girlies:Aella Dorothy Plum.Judah Eilidh Catherine.Snow Amalija Anne
    Guys:Amias Calico "Mia".Eden Trust

It's what we called my (upstate NY, Dutch- descended) grandfather, so Poppy is more grizzled old man than dainty blossom to me. It's not a name I would use on its own.

Penelope, nn Poppy, is very usable, but I think it might sound a little formal and buttoned up next to Maple.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra

I agree, Maple and Penelope "Poppy" are adorable!

I happen to be one of those that loves Poppy for both grandpas and little girls. I mentioned Poppy to my dad once and he's completely obsessed with it now--I don't think we get a say in what our children call my dad from here on in, lol. On the other hand, I love flower names (in a very nostalgic way, they honor my mom, which is probably why I love them so much!), and I love the veterans' connection to poppies, and they're beautiful flowers, but obviously if my dad is Poppy my daughter can't be Poppy, too. Which is why I keep it as a MN. But I would absolutely love to meet a little girl named Poppy, I think it's so fiery and sweet and unexpected. I think Maple and Poppy are great.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Definitely grandpa to me. It's one of those names I just can't see the appeal of at all, I think the sound is really harsh and when I hear it I can't help but imagine the Wicked Witch of the West cackling: "poppies...poppies will make them sleeeep." I also think it's too theme-y with Maple, if that's something you care about.

Penelope, on the other hand, is lovely. I'd go with one of the other nickname options. Penny and Nellie are both very spunky and cute.
    Last edited by geeknamezyo; May 31st, 2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: capitalization issues, how embarrassing
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Mazarine Cosima Odette Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr