Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Poppy - grandpa or little girl??

In England where my husband is from Poppy is really common for girls. But out here it seems to be a name for Grandfathers. Penelope is a huge family name and one that has not been taken by the recent generations so up for grabs. I think I likePoppy as the nickname....doable? Does it go ok with Maple?
    Last edited by flashy09; May 31st, 2013 at 08:22 PM.
    Maple Violet and Penelope Wren

Penelope Maple is really cute! But Poppy Maple maybe not. Poppy is a flower, and Maple is a tree, so that might be nature over kill. However, I think Poppy is an adorable girl's name! I don't know where you mean when you say 'over here', but I'm not from England, and where I live it works! It's nice that Penelope is a family name, making it a great name to use! Poppy from Penelope is a bit of a stretch, but I think it's workable. If you don't mind the super nature-y connections, then I love the name!
    (\_/)
    (o.o)
    (><) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Quote Originally Posted by waverly1234 View Post
    Penelope Maple is really cute! But Poppy Maple maybe not. Poppy is a flower, and Maple is a tree, so that might be nature over kill. However, I think Poppy is an adorable girl's name! I don't know where you mean when you say 'over here', but I'm not from England, and where I live it works! It's nice that Penelope is a family name, making it a great name to use! Poppy from Penelope is a bit of a stretch, but I think it's workable. If you don't mind the super nature-y connections, then I love the name!

I actually already have a little girl named Maple! I meant whether Poppy and Maple go together well as siblings....sorry to be confusing! I get the Poppy from the last part of Penelope, it kind of sounds like "oppy" to me and then add the P. It is kind of a stretch though!!
    Maple Violet and Penelope Wren

I personally think it's too cutesy, I can't imagine a 40 year old Poppy.... but as a nickname for Penelope it should be fine, though I think Penny would be the more obvious choice.

As for the grandpa thing, I think most Americans say Grandpa, Grandad, or Grandfather. I never heard anyone use poppy (said more like Pappy), except for my Puerto Rican friend, but that's because it's a Puerto Rican thing.

You'd definitely have a nature them going though with a Poppy and Maple, possibly a P theme as well
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

I think Penelope NN Poppy is adorable! Poppy and Maple would have a shared nature connection that I think is very sweet

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names