Names Searched Right Now:

How would you balance syllables for a two-syll surname?

All other things being equal, how many syllables would you choose for first and middle(s)?

In my family, we have 3-3-2, 3-1-2, 2-2-2, 2-1-2, and 1-2-2, and they all sound wonderful.

I've always thought two-syllable surnames are the most flexible.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra

Well, my favorite names tend to be long and multisyllabic, so I would most likely go with 4-3, 3-4, 4-4, or 3-3. (Maybe even some combos with a five syllable name!) But I would probably say that regardless of how many syllables the last name was. I don't get it when people say long names are "too much". I'd rather a name be too much than too little, but that's just my style.

With a two syllable surname, though, I think most combinations would work just fine. Maybe avoid 2-2 and 1-1, but even those can work with some names. More than syllables, it really depends on how the names are accented.
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar and Catherine "Cate" Ophelia
    Future Daughters: Isobel "Zoe" Theophania, Veronica "Vera" Seraphine
    Future Sons: Alexander "Olek" Crispin/Leopold, Dominic "Nico" Valentine

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

I personally don't think this is a big deal, because my own name is 2-2-2 and it sounds fine. If you want advice on this, I'd read Angela from Upswing Baby Names' post on this topic. You can read it here: http://upswingbabynames.com/2013/03/how-first-middle-last-names-can-play-nice-together/. I love this article and I hope it helps!

Thanks for the link, ellie. She and I are very much on the same page!

Syllables are one of my few peevey naming quirks, going along with rhyming and alliteration (for me they are all coming from the same source). I was 2-2-1 and took my husband's name, now I'm 2-2-2 and the sing-songiness bugs me

Of course, the majority of my favorite names are 2 syllables, and the 3 syllable names I like are just avenues to a 2 syllable nickname! My guess is we'll end up with 2-3-2 or 2-1-2.
    Last edited by yellow; May 31st, 2013 at 09:07 PM.