Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Opinions on Roxana?

So I'm not expecting, but we're planning ahead, as we'll TTC next year. DH is Persian, so we'd like to use names that fit into both cultures and are actually still used in Iran... which is challenging. We're already looking at Parisa for a girl and Soren and Kian for boys. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about Roxana, nn Roxy. Do you have any opinions about Roxana? Do you think it's usable (I'm from the US)? Do you prefer Parisa or Roxana? Thanks!
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

I love Roxana! It's one of my top five girl names for a little sis for Roo. It's so beautiful and fun, with great historical ties. I love how evocative it is, I can smell jasmine and roses, feel precious rubies and emeralds between my fingers, velvet and organza against my skin when I hear this name. Deliciously mysteriously eastern.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Roxana is great, and the perfect bridge between cultures. Other ones i like that can go either way are Ava, Daria, Zara. But Roxana is definitely my favorite!

I love Roxana! It's bold, strong, and just a beautiful blend of sensuality and elegance.

I like it more than Parisa, but I think they work very well together as sisters.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra

@ottilie Thanks! How poetic! I also think of the exotic East when I hear this name. I'm glad to see such enthusiasm, though... @spring13 Thanks! Yes, unfortunately we can't use Ava (my niece's name), and DH doesn't like Daria (bad association, I think... plus the 90s tv show for me) and Zara (the surname is Zolgh@dr... a beast to pronounce, and he wants to steer clear of names with Z's). Neither of you mentioned the Police song "Roxanne"... do you think this would still be a concern? Do you think kids would even know that song? Would you prefer Roxana or Parisa (both Farsi names... he likes them equally) for the US?

@goodhope Ah! You posted as I was typing! Thanks for your reply... I think the names go well together, too. Although, choosing such exotic names makes me a bit nervous. I had baby names chosen from childhood, but I had no idea I'd marry an Iranian. So, now an opportunity to experiment with much more daring names.
    Last edited by tfzolghadr; May 31st, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina