Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What impression do my character names make?

Here are my main character names for a book I am writing:

Ash/Phoenix-girl (same girl, real name & code name)
    Seth-boy
    Lilith-girl
    Indigo-girl
    Obsidian-boy

Here are the names of some characters in yet another book I am writing:

Quinn-girl
    Calla-girl
    Kae-girl
    Gray-boy
    Sebastian (or Bastian)-boy
    Dare-girl
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski

Hello? Anyone?
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”

― J. Michael Straczynski

What do you want us to say? They're names. They could be anyone. A name is just a word until you read about the character behind it.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

Anything. Ideas that pop into your mind when you here the name. Everyone has these, I just want to know, without having background knowledge, do these names have any soecial meaning or connotations I should know about, before I use them in a book. I also want to know overall thoughts about the names, anything, whether you like them or dislike them, or maybe if you've seen a special spelling for the name and think I might want to use it instead. Anything! General thoughts.

― J. Michael Straczynski

Quote Originally Posted by stardust17 View Post
    Ideas that pop into your mind when you hear the name. Everyone has these.
    I really don't, lol. But ok. I'll give that a go. I'll just tell you what I think of the names and how they go as a set.

Ash/Phoenix- Well. I understand the code name. I might wonder if Ash was short for Ashley though.
    Seth- I like this one. There was a series I read by Catheine Fisher in which Seth was the main character.
    Lilith- This is ok. But next to Seth I prefer Liljana.
    Indigo- I wrote a book a few years ago where one of the main characters was a boy called Indigo.
    Obsidian- Not a fan. Jett perhaps? Still a black stone and stylistically it fits a bit better.

Quinn- Ok.
    Calla- Alright.
    Kae- I think I'd change this one as it rhymes with Gray. Something longer perhaps. Kerensa or something. It would give some balance to Sebastian's long name.
    Gray- Not bad.
    Sebastian (or Bastian)- Ok.
    Dare- Not my sort of thing. Maybe if it was a nickname for something. It just seems odd that the other girls have light sounding names and this one has a harsh sound to it.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!