Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Apparently I like Irish-Sounding names: Finnegan, Barnaby...Darby?

I posted last week about my husband's 1st choice for a boy, Finnegan. And I'm still leaning towards that.

My other Irish-sounding name crush that I'm not sure I could actually pull the trigger on is Barnaby (reminds me too much of the name Barney).

But today I came across Darby. My husband had a good college friend whose last name was Darby, but I've never heard it as a first. WDYT? And could it work with Vincent as a middle (the family name we were hoping to use)? Or should I investigate other options?
    Last edited by lark; May 30th, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

Finnegan and Darby are "faux Irish" to me, they're surnames not commonly used as first names at all, so if its an Irish name you are looking for, your looking in the wrong place.

I thought Barnaby was an Anglo-Saxon name, as far as I'm aware its not Irish at all. Behind the Name (what I consider to be the most accurate online datebase) has Barnaby listed as the Medieval English form of Barnabas, so that's something to consider.

Anyway, here's a few other names you might like, that are easy to pronounce outside of Ireland.

Finn
    Owen
    Tadgh (pronouncer like tiger, without -er at the end)
    Rian (Reean)
    Oran

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

yes,you're right about the origins of Barnaby (I think it's Aramaic). Irish-sounding is probably a better way to explain those 3 names. I'm not necessarily looking for something traditionally Irish ....I just saw a theme in those 3 names.

Ah, I understand what you mean! Some more suggestions based on that.

Brannigan
    Sutton
    Callan
    Lennon
    Sullivan
    Doran
    Shea (Shay)
    Brophy (Bro-fee)

From your own list, I don't like Barnaby. I think its a bit too much and I also don't like Barney. Darby is okay, but Finnegan would be my top pick

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

Not realy Irish, more like common Irish surnames, and Barnaby isn't Irish.