Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Emmett: Not a girly name at all in my mind. It doesn't even have a tint of femininity in my mind, even though it does have some similar sound qualities to Emma. I think Emmett is just too well-recognized as a male's name for any worry about that. My first association has always been Emmett Smith (NFL).

Beckett: I had never heard 'Beck it!' like that before, but now that you've said it, it's all I hear. Ha. Don't think people would hear it that way often though, unless it was pointed out to them. That being said, I'm not really a fan of this name in general.

Declan: I don't hear 'duckling'. I wouldn't worry about that. I think this is a solid name option.

Arlo: This is another that doesn't have an even slight tint of female to me, it's all dude. Like southern, slightly cowboy-ish dude. I think it's a solid name option.
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...

Emmett - I think the feminine Em nicknames are a legitimate concern. To me it is similar to Elliot. Both are great names but the nicknames are too feminine. However, you can probably just focus on not using nicknames. I tend to prefer Everett to both Emmett and Eliot because there is no natural nn that seems feminine.

Beckett - sounds very preppy. I do not associate it all with the connotation you mentioned.

Declan - I don't hear duck at all... I hear Deck - lan. This is a great name.

Arlo - stills seems firmly in the male camp to me.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.

Emmett - Yes this has the same opening as Emma-like girl names and is therefore softer than many other boys names but I by no means think it's girly. Very different but names that have a similar softness (to me) are Julian, and Sebastian. I think it's really an asset. By equal measures a Just a stray thought: Matthew could be called Mattie which is very similar to the popular gils Maddie, does that make Matthew too girly?

Beckett - My first thought is always "the parents must be huge Samuel Beckett fans". I don't see this related to a f* it comment at all but instead really see it as a LN as a FN.

Declan - I don't hear duckling as much as "deck them" (as in punch them). But besides I'm also not huge on this one even though I can see it's appeal.

Arlo - It's too grumpy old man to be girly. It's kind of what I love about this name. Also Marlo Brandon is a great manly figure to hold up against Harlow and Marlow. I say firmly in the boys camp.
    Aurelia - Endora - Illyria - Lorelei - Merida - Ofelia - Penrose - Tabitha - Viola - Zenobia
    Alaric - Anton - Cedric - Dexter - Erich - Felix - Hector - Hendrik - Leonidas - Victor
    Engaged to the best Man in the World. (God-mama to Lawrence, a little bundle of sunshine).

My associations are distinctly American:

Emmett - Emmett Till - African-American boy killed in the 50's for talking to a white woman; part of impetus for civil rights movement. A sad association but to me gives meaning to the name.

Beckett - Josh Beckett - Red Sox pitcher.

Arlo - Arlo Guthrie - American folk singer.

Declan - If anything, written I sometimes see de-clan (which doesnt really mean anything, so it's not a problem). Mostly I see it as a cool traditional Irish name that I'd love to use if I were at all Irish.
    Cassia | Phoebe | Emmeline | Matilda | Oona | Sylvie | Dahlia | Rosalind | Vivienne | Miranda
    Milo | Emmett | Sebastian | Theodore | Lucian | Rafferty | Matteo | Vincent | Donovan | Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by paw View Post
    Emmett - I think the feminine Em nicknames are a legitimate concern. To me it is similar to Elliot. Both are great names but the nicknames are too feminine. However, you can probably just focus on not using nicknames. I tend to prefer Everett to both Emmett and Eliot because there is no natural nn that seems feminine.
    I agree with this. I actually would worry about Emrys and Emerson also being taken by the girls (even though I view them as being VERY masculine). I do hesitate with Emmett... it's masculine now, but there's no guarantee in 5 years. I had this trend... I really wish people would stop stealing boys' names...

Beckett- Very preppy, and I just hear "Beck-it". I think of the band "Beck", and Samuel Beckett....

Declan- I also hear Deck-lan. This is my favourite of your choices.

Arlo- I don't know why, but I highly dislike this name... and Milo... maybe it's an -o thing??? I think of the movie "Argo"... but it doesn't really sound like a name to me. I don't know... maybe it will grow on me...
    Emiliana Pari (or Valentina Hasti?) Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia
    Camellia Seraphine, Jessamine Ara