Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Creative Ways to Honor a "John" or a "Matthew"

Hi All-
    Hubby and I are ttc our second child, and while I thought I felt good about our boy names, after posting a poll and getting (helpful!) feedback, I have decided I hate them all (almost.)
    Anyway, his sibling will be Harold Jonathan, who goes by nn Hal. Harold is in honor of his grandfather and great-grandfather. We have (lots) of 'Johns' and 'Matthew' would be in honor of my hubby, who goes by nn Matt.
    Can you help me find a creative way of using John and/or Matthew that would also go with a sibling named Harold, nn Hal?? Thanks so much!!

P.S.- Yes, Jonathan is in honor of one of the many 'Johns' on our family tree, but as a mn, it is hardly EVER used. I really love the name, even though it is sooooo popular, I would be open to using as a fn, even though we already used a form of it for Hal's mn.

Also, I try really hard to avoid names in the top 100 for popularity. I gave up on several girl names I loved b/c they were just too common, so I'm pretty set on this 'rule.'

All names are variants of John and Matthew

John
    Ivan
    Jowan
    Janko
    Johan
    Sean
    Ian * top 100 US
    Evan

Matthew
    Matthias
    Matteo
    Matvey

Or you could use John, Matthew in the middle spot and use a name you love as a first
    Last edited by sunshine kid; May 29th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
    Ingrid | Kit | Susanna | Alistair

Keoni (pronounced Kay OH nee) is Hawaiian form of John. I plan on using it for a middle name to honor my dad who was a John. It has the cute nn keo. Might be a little too exotic next to Hal though.

Thanks Sunshine Kid! About the only one I would consider using might be Ivan. Love Ian and Evan, but they are too popular. Sean is a sibling's x, so that is out. The names for Matthew are too out there for me. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Maybe names that mean the same thing?

John
    Jonah
    Jonas
    Jack
    Jimmy
    Jan (pn "Yarn")
    Jock

Matthew
    Matthias
    Matteo
    Matthieu
    Matai (pn "Matt-eye")