Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which version for the middle name?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Josephine

24 54.55%
  • Josefa

20 45.45%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Middle name debate

I need opinions, dear berries...

We've known for months we're going to use some form of DH's great grandmother's name for our daughters middle name. She was a holocaust survivor and just generally a very tough, amazing woman.

The name in question is Josefa (you-sef-uh). Yes it would probably be pronounced "joe-sef-uh" most of the time in the US, but in the middle spot I don't think that's a deal breaker.

DH favors using Josephine in the middle instead because it's (and I quote) "less weird." He's more sensitive to the "What if she hates it" or "What if people make fun of it?"...moving to the US during middle school he liked having a name that wasn't particularly foreign sounding and I think that's carried over. I like Josephine too, but I just can't get Josefa out of my head lately! So tell me: Josephine or Josefa? Is it a less-than-attractive name? General thoughts on honoring using the real name vs. anglicized?
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13

I absolutely vote for Josefa. If you are honoring a family member, stay true to the name, especially since it is in the middle! I think it will be an incredible way to give your daughter a sense of her heritage and family history.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

What is the first name going to be? That may help a little. I voted for Josephine because people would say Josefa with a J sound so it would really even be the same name. Plus I adore the name Josephine and I think that it is so similar to the original name that its basically the same thing

People outside your family pretty much never say your middle name except to ask what it is, to which she would reply "you-sef-uh" and then spell it when they ask how it's spelled. I think it's a great name. Josephine is also very pretty though.
    Some current considerations:

Sylvie Coraline | Etta Rosalie | Hazel Miranda | Margot Eliza | Vivienne Esme | Cora Madeleine
    Archer Daniel | Emmett Sebastian | Ezra Donovan | Theo Anderson | Lucian Matteo | Milo Vincent

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    I love Josephine, but I like the idea of using Josepha. It's not as pretty, but I think it's a lot more meaningful to you. I don't think pronunciation issues are terribly important for a middle name. I vote for Josepha!
    Trying, trying, trying

Current favorites:
    Boy: Asa Guillaume, Barnaby August
    Girl: Apolline Iris- Polly, Clothilde Juno- Chloe