Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Question...

Quote Originally Posted by mega_muffin View Post
    Ofelia was the name of a Danish saint (and was probably the name Shakespeare was going for with Ophelia), so I don't see a problem with using that spelling even if you're not Hispanic.
    It is? I didn't know that! xD

Well, like the name Felix Eleanor!
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Noah (29-5-10), Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~ Ianto Lior~

Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    1. I'm confused. These are all boys names: Asher, Felix, Sawyer, Merit, Silas
    and these are all girls names: Ophelia/Ofelia, Maxine, Marian, Ruby, Alys, Faye, Cordelia, Eleanor, Flora/Florence, Cora

Maybe Merit Faye or Merit Cordelia. Merit is the only one I can imagine on a girl.

2. Are you Spanish? If you're white, Germanic and live in Kansas I'd say, no, don't use the Spanish version, but if it has some meaning/connection to your background then go for it. I think most people will pronounce both the same, so if you really want that pronunciation you'll be correcting people constantly.
    All of this. What in the world? How about you just name the poor kid John Annabelle or Michael Abigail or Butch Cassidy and have done with it. Sibling ideas: brothers named Sarah Theodore and Penelope Spike!

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    All of this. What in the world? How about you just name the poor kid John Annabelle or Michael Abigail or Butch Cassidy and have done with it. Sibling ideas: brothers named Sarah Theodore and Penelope Spike!
    I'd rather have a daughter named Asher than a son named Waldo...

You are unnecessarily rude and mean. I've never been mean to anyone on these forums and I don't think I deserve to have my name choices made fun of and belittled.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

I'm sorry, I didn't intend to come off as rude or condescending. Felix and Silas are great names, they just aren't unisex names in the eyes of most of the world, so weird looks and questions are going to follow every time she introduces herself. It's not the end of the world, but it might be hard to live with, especially if she's very shy or self conscious, being named Felix would draw a lot of unwanted attention and assumptions. I was a shy kid and would have been very stressed out by stuff like that. I like the idea of something like Maxine, nn Max, because it gives her options. I love when names give kids options, especially if it's an unusual name, because you never know how the kid will identify. A bubbly, outgoing, rough and tumble little girl might love being a Max, but a shy, bookish girl might prefer to be a Maxine. Silas or Felix on that shy, bookish girl might be very uncomfortable for her. Of course, you're the mom and if you have your heart set on using a traditionally masculine name on a girl then go for it, and hopefully your kiddo will have the personality to carry it happily, and doesn't care if people are always asking if her parents wanted a boy. Even with a simple, traditional name like Anna you couldn't guarantee that she'll like her name, I suppose.

I really don't want to hurt your feelings or anything, it's just my honest opinion on the names. I love your taste in girls names and would be delighted to see you use one of them as a first name. Rowan and Flora? Or Cora? Or Maxine? Or Alys? Or any of your beautiful choices? So great! And no need to defend yourself/herself against the "but that's a boy's name" comments, since they do seem to bother you and they aren't likely to go away. I won't personally say another word about it in your threads, though, because you have my opinion already now. I will just say I like your middle name choices very much and think they are worthy of being considered for the spotlight of being first names.

Quote Originally Posted by niftylavalamp View Post
    I'm sorry, I didn't intend to come off as rude or condescending. Felix and Silas are great names, they just aren't unisex names in the eyes of most of the world, so weird looks and questions are going to follow every time she introduces herself. It's not the end of the world, but it might be hard to live with, especially if she's very shy or self conscious, being named Felix would draw a lot of unwanted attention and assumptions. I was a shy kid and would have been very stressed out by stuff like that. I like the idea of something like Maxine, nn Max, because it gives her options. I love when names give kids options, especially if it's an unusual name, because you never know how the kid will identify. A bubbly, outgoing, rough and tumble little girl might love being a Max, but a shy, bookish girl might prefer to be a Maxine. Silas or Felix on that shy, bookish girl might be very uncomfortable for her. Of course, you're the mom and if you have your heart set on using a traditionally masculine name on a girl then go for it, and hopefully your kiddo will have the personality to carry it happily, and doesn't care if people are always asking if her parents wanted a boy. Even with a simple, traditional name like Anna you couldn't guarantee that she'll like her name, I suppose.

I really don't want to hurt your feelings or anything, it's just my honest opinion on the names. I love your taste in girls names and would be delighted to see you use one of them as a first name. Rowan and Flora? Or Cora? Or Maxine? Or Alys? Or any of your beautiful choices? So great! And no need to defend yourself/herself against the "but that's a boy's name" comments, since they do seem to bother you and they aren't likely to go away. I won't personally say another word about it in your threads, though, because you have my opinion already now. I will just say I like your middle name choices very much and think they are worthy of being considered for the spotlight of being first names.
    I'm going to agree with this. Don't get mad, but realize that if you go against taboos, not everyone is going to agree with it. Names in English normally signal gender (unlike in some languages, like I understand Tibetan is rather unisex). I read a great article (I think it was on Nameberry) by a man named Chelsea. It was interesting to see his perspective, as most of the things that happened to him were unintentionally... i.e. being assigned a locker in the girls' locker room, people thinking he'd stolen his gf's credit card (and making him provide an id), etc. Some people will stand up saying, "The genders are the same, why distinguish through names?" While I can see where they're coming from, I'd recommend taking a bit to consider the practical, real-life ramifications of having a boy's name as a girl. After all, the male Chelsea (whose name was not feminine when he was born) did demand an explanation from his parents on why they used it... and I think all parents (regardless of the name they choose) should be confident enough with their name choice that if their child demands an explanation, they are willing to take responsibility for their decision.

Out of all of your choices, I like Maxine, nn Max... Maybe Maxine Fay?
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina