Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Question...

Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    1. I'm confused. These are all boys names: Asher, Felix, Sawyer, Merit, Silas
    and these are all girls names: Ophelia/Ofelia, Maxine, Marian, Ruby, Alys, Faye, Cordelia, Eleanor, Flora/Florence, Cora

Maybe Merit Faye or Merit Cordelia. Merit is the only one I can imagine on a girl.

2. Are you Spanish? If you're white, Germanic and live in Kansas I'd say, no, don't use the Spanish version, but if it has some meaning/connection to your background then go for it. I think most people will pronounce both the same, so if you really want that pronunciation you'll be correcting people constantly.
    They are all names I am considering for a daughter or a son, so they are all girl or boy names to me. I am not Hispanic, but I speak Spanish. My husband is of Navajo decent, and I am a mutt of English, Welsh, and Greek.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by rachelbrein View Post
    Merit Ruby
    Merit Alys (prn. elise or alice?)
    It's the Welsh variation of Alice. I would pronounce it the same, but I think it usually has a little more inflection on the L. Like a-LYSS.

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    My first thoughts:

Silas Ophelia
    Sawyer Ruby
    Felix Eleanor
    Asher Faye

I also quite love the suggestion of Merit Cordelia, as well. But Silas Ophelia/Silas Ofelia is my favorite. I prefer Ophelia by a mile (it's on my own list as a MN), but I see no problem using Ofelia, especially since it's only a mn. It seems like it has significance to you, so why not?
    Felix Eleanor is awesome!

I feel like Ophelia is an uncommon enough name that people would be confused by it anyway. So why not go with the pronunciation I like more? People still butcher Rowan's name even though I think it is so easy to say and spell. They always ask me how to spell it, and I usually have to repeat it aloud at least once. People think I'm saying Roland or Rollin or something.

Ofelia was the name of a Danish saint (and was probably the name Shakespeare was going for with Ophelia), so I don't see a problem with using that spelling even if you're not Hispanic.
    Proud mother to William "Liam" Balthazar, Catherine "Cate" Ophelia, and expecting baby Nicander (Veronica Seraphine or Alexander Silvan(?)) in late Feb. 2016!
    Future Daughter: Isobel "Zoe" Theophania
    Future Son: Dominic "Nico" Valentine

Nicholas ~ William ~ Alexander ~ Sebastian ~ Gabriel ~ Benjamin ~ Dominic ~ Oliver ~ Crispin ~ Gregory
    Zoe ~ Catherine ~ Veronica ~ Penelope ~ Elizabeth ~ Daphne ~ Anastasia ~ Seraphina ~ Ophelia ~ Felicity

I prefer Ofelia to Ophelia! It's beautiful!
    mamacravings.com
    Everything a mama could want

Blessed mama to 3 year-old Elijah Myles & to 6 precious angels babies.

crushes:
    Amelia Wren, Charlotte Adair, Josepine Elise, Genevieve Ruth, Susanna Caroline, Cordelia Mae

Josiah Davis, Charles Asher, Jeremiah August, Lawrence Henry