Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Met a 3 year old Gladys!

I heard her mother calling "Addy Addy" and since my niece's name is Adeline, I asked what Addy was short for (since its almost always Addison or Adelyn etc, my sister likes hearing if there is another Adeline out there locally) and her mom said "Gladys". Apparently it was her husbands grandmother and they wanted to honor her with the first name (as they were honoring his other grandmother with the middle) since she raised him but didn't particularly want a "Gladys" so they shortened it to "Addy". Interesting! Her middle name is Vivian, which I like better but the mom made it sound like grandma Vivian although a wonderful woman was not the one who he was close to, so I'm glad they honored grandma Gladys. Thought I would share since I have get to meet a little girl local to me with this name.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

Aw, that's adorable. I don't especially love the Welsh Gladys, but I love the ancient Roman original, Claudia, and Gladys Vivian nn Addy is adorable! I admit, I'm partial to it as one of my favorite heroines is Gladys Aylward.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

Neat! I worked with a young Gladis (this spelling) for a while. She was bright and energetic and really breathed life into a name I had always considered terminally "old fusty lady. " Gladys Vivian works, and the nickname Addy is a cute modern spin.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra

It's so wrong... it's right! I love it!
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Eve, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora, Fawn
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Casper, Leopold

Your post made me so happy!!! I had a wonderful Great Aunt Gladys and I adored her!!! So happy to hear of it finding new life again. Cute nn too, I hadn't thought of that before.