Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help with baby girls name - arriving in June!

Hi all,

This is my first post, though I'm a long time reader and searcher!

We're having a huge amount of trouble narrowing down our names, and to be honest I'm not completely sold on the ones we are considering.

Firstly, we already have a Marilla Susan (NN Rilla, from Anne of Green Gables and Susan is a family name). Our first has LOADS of meaning to us and we had a boys name ready but we are blessed with another girl, so I'm feeling a bit out of my depth.

Marilla's a Leo (ruled by the sun) and this little one will be a Cancer (ruled by the moon).

Secondly, our last name is a food type (Oi!) and ends with "ey". So lots of my favourites have gone. (Sage, Violet, Rose etc).

These are some of the first names we have been consdering but am happy to hear other suggestions.

Adelaide nn Adie
    Harriet nn Hattie
    Willa (lots of Williams in the family line)
    Magnolia - nn Nola or Maggie
    Luna
    Pheobe - nn Phe
    Sylvia

Also middle names are a bit of a dead end though we have considered http://nameberry.com/babyname/Lillian to honour my Nana, it's her middle name, her first is Mabel, Charlotte to honour my mum (her middle name) but I like Lottie better or something "purple" as her Sister has always refered to her as the "purple baby". So Violet, Iris and Viola have been options.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I think Sylvia Lillian would be a beautiful fit with Marilla Susan.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College sophomore. Identical twin.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

Adelaide, Harriet and Phoebe are nice enough but don't have quite the same feel as Marilla.

Willa sounds so much like Marilla that I'd leave it as a middle choice.

Magnolia, Luna and Sylvia are probably my picks of your list, although I think Sylvie might work slightly better with Marilla.

Some other suggestions you might like:
    Orchid
    Wisteria
    Petra
    Estelle
    Abbilene
    Adona
    Eluna
    Enid
    Junissa
    Eliska
    Lotus
    Aura
    Sadie
    Isadora
    Sable
    Caspia
    Pheodora
    Fenella
    Fiorella

BlueJuniper you've hit the nail on the head when you write

"Adelaide, Harriet and Phoebe are nice enough but don't have quite the same feel as Marilla.

Willa sounds so much like Marilla that I'd leave it as a middle choice".

I love Adelaide but don't feel it's a good match and I don't like Addy (ad-dee) as a nn but rather Adie (Aa-dee), but know what she'll probably get.

I do like Sylvia/Sylvie.

I also like Enid and Enid and a few other suggestions you said. Thanks!

Maximus Alexander (April 2012)
    Audrey Juliet Sophia (August 2014)
    Owner of "The Art of Naming!"