Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hippy/Hipster

Thanks! Y'all are on the right track.
    ~Cathryn Elizabeth~

Stay at home mommy to Benton Grover and Arwen Elizabeth.
    My fur babies are Walter and Marcheline aka Mooch.
    Current favorites: Imogen Temperance, Gwendolyn Lucille, Jessamyn Hazel, Charleston Hawk, Harrison Ambrose, Thompson Conrad

I guess the place between hippie & hipster would include names like Bay, Clover, nn Bunny (maybe for Beatrice, Bernadette or Barbara), Azalea, Aberdeen, Calla, Delta, Evening, Faun, Lake, Merit, Teal, Willow, Robin, Omega...naturey/mystical with a clunky edge?

well hippy and hipster are two different things.

hippy-
    Orchid
    Magnolia
    Blossom
    Dandelion
    Luna
    Ember
    Jonquil
    Truly
    Mercy
    Clarity
    Daisy
    Skye
    Azure
    Bliss
    Dove

Hipster-
    Miranda
    Tabitha
    Sloane
    Mallory
    Matilda
    Agatha
    Hazel
    Imogen
    Mabel
    mom to Mckinley Mayfair, Christian Wayne & Sir Angus Fionn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    fave girls
    fave boys
    fave combos
    just for fun combos

Some other alternatives:
    Mimi
    Larkin
    Wren
    Orly
    Ada
    Avaline

I think hip names are really relative to the person doing the naming. Usually they have musical, artistic, cultural, literature, nature, city, or occupational connotations and tend to be trendy or hardly seen. These are just a few that I personally fit the hip/hipster title:

• Alabama Blue is an incredibly hip name, as it has lots of culture, musical, and color all in one. Its still one of my favorites.
    • Memphis is another city name that is full of culture and music, still hardly used. Though I would say Memphis is more of a boy's name.
    • Lou has musical vowels, though its not necessarily literally related to music. Interesting vowels are very musical.
    • Juno and Persephone are also unusual and cultural with interesting vowels and sounds. Also girl power!
    • Harper, Atticus, and Scout used to never be seen, but they've spiked in popularity quite a bit. They're each related to To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee, a book many hipsters haven't read or didn't like, but loved the names they saw (I must admit, I'm guilty of that). They're probably a little too hipster, considering most hipsters I know have an Atticus or are planning for a Harper or Scout. Atticus is a boys name (Attica is the girl version), but Harper and Scout are unisex.
    • Speaking of names that many hipsters picked up on, Sawyer or Finn are a couple more, both literature references to Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, both characters made up by Mark Twain. I predict Twain to be next...
    • Mylo is also another pick for hipsters, for reasons that can vary to the childhood movie, Milo & Otis, or to the Radiohead album Mylo Xyloto. It also has musical vowels as well as a sweet, adventurous air to it. I also feel like Otis could be the next Mylo or Owen.
    • Wren, Wolfy, Fox, June, Poppy, Magnolia, and many more could be considered hip names due to their nature references.

I guess there's your criteria for hip/hipster names. But really, a hip/hipster name is all speculative, depending on the person... or hipster.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen