Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How would you pronounce this name?

We are about to have our 3rd girl in a few weeks and are struggling with naming her! I really love the name Marin but prefer the pronounciation of Ma-RIN (like the county in CA) over Mar-in (rhymes with Karen). Will she and I spend the rest of our lives correcting people? Also, my other two daughters are Lauren and Erin....is this too rhymey and too much like Erin? Ugh...when it's your third girl the game gets harder!

I'd say 'MA-rin'. I tried to find it on Forvo but I couldn't. Lordy. Right. let's see... I say the 'ma' like the start of Mallory, the a is short like in cat. Definitely doesn't rhyme with my name which sounds like 'KA-rn' when I say it.

Either way, I think Marin, Erin and Lauren are FAR too matchy for siblings.

EDIT:: Ooh I found one: http://www.forvo.com/word/john_marin/#en

And for funsies, here's me saying my own name http://www.forvo.com/word/karen/#da I'm PierreSentMe.
    Last edited by renrose; May 29th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Aw shoot Rennie. I had a whole fantasy here that you were the great-great granddaughter of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. No dice!

I pronounce Marin with emphasis on the first syllable, but I don't see why you couldn't pronounce it like beautiful Marin County. I do think it's too close to Lauren and Erin. But Lauren and Erin rhyme... you might as well carry out the pattern if you enjoy the ren/rin names.
    You could nickname them all Rennie, and people will assume they're related to a famous architect!

Quote Originally Posted by emmabobemma View Post
    Aw shoot Rennie. I had a whole fantasy here that you were the great-great granddaughter of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. No dice!
    Ahaha, sorry to burst thy bubble! No Mackintosh's on my tree at all
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I immediately thought Marinne or Maryn, though both look made-up. Hm. This is a tricky one.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...