Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

I still regret my daughter's name -- 4 years later

My 4 year old daughter is named Laura. It was a compromise name, one of the few that my husband and I both liked. I knew even before I agreed to it that it was not particularly hip and some would think it was dated. There were several "cooler" names that I liked better, but would not work for one reason or another. My daughter definitely seems to like her name, but I still kind of cringe when I say it, and she is almost never complimented on her name, which probably bothers me the most.

So, not sure what my question is, as we certainly are not going to change it at this point, and honestly that was never really an option. And, I have yet to find a nickname that ever really stuck. So, I guess I am just looking for reassurance that Laura is not as bad of a name that I have come to believe it is

It's not bad.
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

I love the name Laura, but I understand how you feel. Genevieve was a compromise name for us, and it was hard for me to accept it for a while. But as soon as she said her own name for the first time (Gen-vee), I melted.

For the longest time, I wanted to name my first daughter Laura, after Laura Ingalls Wilder. I still love the name and think it is beautiful and classic. Not dated at all!

If you're still looking for nicknames, I like Lola or Lolo or just plain Lo.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). TTC #5

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

To me, Laura seems more classic than dated. I can see why some would think it sounds dated, but I don't feel that way. Laura feels classic and traditional in the same way that Sarah, Margaret, and Katherine do. Now, Lauren seems dated to me. But not Laura. And I would actually love to meet a young Laura!
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Phaedra, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Caspian

Laura is a classic name. I don't think that it is linked ONLY to a specific time period, and seems to have a long history (think Laura Ingalls Wilder!). I think you just need a fun, modern, spunky nickname. How about Lilou or Lark?
    {Cora | Eve | Vivian | Beatrix | Jane | Rowan | Clara | Helena}

[Jack | Tristan | Theo | Kieran | James | Flynn | Stellan | Cole]