Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Laura is a soft, sophisticated, and lovely name. I have had regret with my oldest daughter's name, as well. Although, my regret stemmed from what the name represented to me (lack of control in pregnancy, including choosing the name) as opposed to the name itself.
    My girls: Grace Patricia "Gracie Pat" & Eloise Martha "Elsie Mae"
    If we had a baby today: Moira Jane OR Desmond Walter
    Guys: Julian, Amos, Tobias, August, Silas
    Dolls: Iris, Hazel, Flora, Margo, Agnes

http://modernmonikers.wordpress.com

In reality, most people don't compliment names all that often, especially by the time a child is four.

You selected a gorgeous, mature name, that will serve your daughter well in any path of life she chooses, with hundreds of inspiring namesakes, a nice connection to nature, and which is distinctive enough she won't suffer confusion with multiple other little Lauras in her age group.

Will people say "my, I've never heard that before?" Of course not. But it is striking and especially if your daughter herself seems to like it, you did a great job.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Laura is such a great name. It's classic.

Maybe you should ask your daughter what she likes about her name?

I honestly think Laura is lovely, and it's one of my favorite names.

Laura's a little-black-dress sort of name. A dress like that may not generate the same level of commentary as one dripping with spangles, made of meat, or flashing a hot designer label, but that doesn't make it a bad choice. It's classy and classic, something that can be worn anywhere and makes the wearer look great. In general, I think of Laura the same way I do names like Philip, Margaret, and Stephen: as a classic experiencing a temporary downturn in popularity. I've met Lauras ranging from the nursery to the nursing home, so I can't see it as dated, no matter how hard I try. Really, there's no bad in my mind, as far as Laura's concerned.

I hope you can find peace over this issue. If you don't like your daughter's name after 4 years, there's probably nothing that anyone could say that will change your feelings, and I'm sorry for that.
    ----
    Mom to N
    Malcolm, Tristan, Aaron, Garrett, Vincent
    Iris, Bridget, Bonnie, Averill, Petra

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    In reality, most people don't compliment names all that often, especially by the time a child is four.

You selected a gorgeous, mature name, that will serve your daughter well in any path of life she chooses, with hundreds of inspiring namesakes, a nice connection to nature, and which is distinctive enough she won't suffer confusion with multiple other little Lauras in her age group.

Will people say "my, I've never heard that before?" Of course not. But it is striking and especially if your daughter herself seems to like it, you did a great job.
    All of this!