Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

How much does popularity matter?

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are expecting a baby girl in mid-September. Before we went to our ultrasound, we had a name agreed on that we both have liked for years. Arwen was our original choice. However, after we found out that baby was a little girl, my husband changed his mind. On the car ride home, he looked at me and said he would like to name her Brianna.

I know that Brianna is a popular name, even if it has been falling in popularity the past few years. He wants to name her Brianna, but says we could call her Bree. His name is Joseph, but nobody ever calls him that, he's always gone by Joey. My name is Aubrey, so it has a bit of my name in it, and that is his reasoning for the name.

The full name we are looking at is Brianna Rue. My childhood nickname was Roo, and we wanted a variation of it as a part of her name.

However, I am struggling with the popularity of the name. I always envisioned giving my child a unique name. Growing up I never met another child with my name, and I really enjoyed that. I just don't want our daughter to be one of three Brianna's in her classroom.

Any opinions? Does popularity matter so much if there is meaning to the name? Any suggestions on alternative names?