Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

On Rune and Saga and the ilk

I have an unhealthy attachment to Rune and Saga and Merit. I don't have any personal reasoning or connection to them, but I like their sound and meanings. I love word and virtue names for themselves but I feel they don't have enough weight or history as names. Sometimes I feel like they try too hard and I have trouble actually seeing myself using them on children; more GP status. But I can't let these three go.

So tell me, oh you wise Berries: Both Rune and Saga have serious popularity in Europe (especially in Belgium and Sweden, respectively), but I'm having trouble finding the skinny on the history of their use. Are they simply word-names that happen to be the similar in English? I've seen that Saga has a connection to the goddess Frigg, possibly one of her names or titles, and I appreciate that. Merit/Merritt has some surname connections.

What would you think if you met a Rune, a Saga or a Merit/Merritt?
    Last edited by owlett; May 27th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
    Mama to Belle & Pip
    Wife, mother, farmer, friend and doula.

Sorry I can't help you on the history, but I particularly like Rune. Rather lovely.

Merit is an ancient Egyptian name Can't get more historical than that really!

http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/S%C3%A1ga < Saga seems pretty legitimate.
    Last edited by renrose; May 27th, 2013 at 09:12 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Rune was quite popular in Norway between 1950 and 1070. I have a few Norwegian friends with fathers named Rune, so for me it isn't weird at all. Of course, it's pronounced differently in Scandinavia, it's ROO-neh.

Saga is a name that occurs in Norse mythology, sometimes as an aspect of Frigg, sometimes as one of her attendants and sometimes as her own obscure self. I've met two Saga's, both Scandinavian. I think it's a lovely name.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Merit is an ancient Egyptian name Can't get more historical than that really!

http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/S%C3%A1ga < Saga seems pretty legitimate.

LOL You're right, Renrose! ancient Egyptian is about as historical as it gets!

I wonder if using an accent mark, while a tad snooty, would help me move past Saga's word-name feel. hmmmm. Thanks!
    Mama to Belle & Pip
    Wife, mother, farmer, friend and doula.