Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would you assume a boy or girl Sam?

So, I've always loved the name Sam (Samuel). But, my niece goes by Frankie and it's likely if they ever had another girl she would be a similar name/nickname. My girls' names are Ruby and Lucy. My question is that if you heard for example:

Ruby (g), Lucy (g), Sam (?), Frankie (g), & Charlie (g) would you assume Sam was a lone boy in the bunch or would you think he was a Samantha?

Honestly, siblings have completely different styles. My one sister wants to name her daughter Spencer Haley. I wouldn't be caught dead naming my daughter Spencer Haley, lol. My other sister would love to use Andromeda nn Anna, another name I wouldn't be caught dead using. (Ironically, all three of us have Olivia on our top three!) I wouldn't really consider her children to be mixed in with yours--if you end up with a Sam, your family will know he's a boy, and compared to Lucy and Ruby, Sam is pretty obviously male!

But to answer your question, yes, I would think Sam = boy. Always. But that's because Samuel nn Sam is on my own list. The only Sam I know atm is a Samantha nn Sam, but I'd still think Sam = boy because I adore Samuel so much.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

Just thought to add statistics--Samuel ranked one spot higher for boys (number 25) than Samantha did for girls (26)--with nearly 4,500 more little Samuels born than Samanthas. Plus, Sam ranks at number 518 for boys, and not at all for girls, so if you love Sam for a boy, I think you're pretty safe. It's still quite strongly in the boys' camp.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

I agree with Ash, I wouldn't worry at all about how my child's name sounded with his cousins. Sibsets are hard enough we don't need to worry about cousin sets. Besides, your sister might never have another girl or she might go with a name that you don't expect.
    Mom to Paul, Clare, Mark, Katharine, James, and Andrew
    Future girl: Grace or Lucy
    Future boy: Peter Gregory

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    Honestly, siblings have completely different styles.
    So true! I strongly dislike all my nieces' and nephews' names, with the exception of Isabella (she got the name before Twilight and all the popularity). I'd assume Frankie was a boy... not that Sam was a girl. His name will be Samuel, just nn Sam. So, it's pretty clear he's male... The nn can go either way, but most people know that... it's not like nicknaming a boy Anna, then being offended when other people get confused. Maybe a few people will think female (if they only see "Sam" out of context, and without a sentence to give them gender markers like "he", "his", etc.)... but I think that would be extremely rare. I like Sam with your girls' names.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina