Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Scheduled Induction

Well, I'm just a week away from a scheduled induction. My doctor scheduled an induction for June 5th (the day after my due date as I don't want to go over since my birthday is June 12th :P ) and I'm a little nervous. It doesn't seem like she's willing to come on her own and with a scheduled day to go into the joys/pains of labor, I'm equal parts scared, nervous, and relieved.

On one hand, I'm really relieved to know exactly when it's going to happen to I can prepare myself and get ready. The problem is, I'm not sure how to be preparing for that.

On the other, knowing when I'm going to give birth is also very scarey. Despite getting myself all prepared for the pain and knowing large parts are in my head and my mother saying "It didn't hurt that bad till you were half-way out", I'm still scared and nervous about how I'm going to handle this.

So, cut me some slack as a first time mom and give me your tips on how to prepare for the experience and handle the pain without medication. I'm going to try going natural unless I just can't take it. It would be extra nice if people who'd been induced talked to me about the experience as I'm clueless.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I was induced (I requested it at 41 weeks, same as you). You have a couple of methods to kick things off-- either a foley bulb (the balloon tip of a bladder catheter) placed in the cervix to crank it open (you go to 3cm automatically), or a medication placed in the vagina at the mouth of the cervix which kicks off labor. Almost always you are augmented with pitocin simultaneously. You will therefore be on external fetal monitors (which constantly track baby's heartbeat-- the same things strapped to you when you went to L&D a few weeks ago) and a tocometer (which measures the strength of your uterine contractions), and you will have an IV for fluids and the pitocin drip. Since most modern monitors work remotely, you can get up, walk around the labor &delivery ward, go to the bathroom, get into any position you choose, etc.

If you decide to opt for an epidural, it will be placed whenever you choose, but most women feel like they need& want it around transition (when you are dilated about 7-8cm, and transition to fully dilated). Once you begin pushing, that is the point of no return. Most modern obstetrics practices permit eating & drinking throughout labor as long as you will have an epidural. If your goal going into it is to labor without pain relief, you might not be permitted to eat in case you need a c-section emergently. If you do, you will have to be intubated and receive general anesthesia, so there is a high risk of aspiration. You might want to re-read our long " Pain Relief" thread re: pros, cons, and the technique of placement.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

Thank you ^_^. My doctor said he was going to put something like a wax bulb or something that would release postaglandins (I believe that's right). I already know I won't be able to eat as the pamphlet they gave me about the policies of the L&D said "no food or liquids only ice chips" which is annoying but understandable.

Thanks again. I always love when you respond because I know I'm getting medical advice. ^_^ Also, congrats on the baby! I'll be excited to know the name you choose as Antoine Raphael is so handsome!
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

For me, the uncertainty of when/where it would happen was a BIG part of my anxiety. At least you know those details.

Aside from that l&d has so many variables. I have heard so many different birth stories. My best friend pushed out her baby sans meds and said it was an intense and amazing experience. I have heard horror stories as well, specifically of holding on to the idea of going med-free/vaginal delivery for a long long labor that ends up veering away from the birth plan. My own story is not very dramatic...but I had an epidural, was pretty sure I was going to get an epidural from the very beginning though I did wait to feel the pain before deciding. For me, I forgot all of my breathing techniques and I guess I kind of disassociated to manage the pain. I think everyone does whatever works for them when it comes to dealing with the pain. So whatever you naturally do. I think it's not so much about preparing as it is about letting go. I think it's about getting through it whatever way works for you. I thought pregnancy was worse than L&D!

Good Luck! Congrats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    Thank you ^_^. My doctor said he was going to put something like a wax bulb or something that would release postaglandins (I believe that's right). I already know I won't be able to eat as the pamphlet they gave me about the policies of the L&D said "no food or liquids only ice chips" which is annoying but understandable.

Thanks again. I always love when you respond because I know I'm getting medical advice. ^_^ Also, congrats on the baby! I'll be excited to know the name you choose as Antoine Raphael is so handsome!
    Thanks. the medication in question is misoprostol, which is a prostaglandin. It's best known under the trade name Cytotec.

Oh, the other intervention likely to occur once things kick off a bit is AROM (artificial rupture of membranes), where your amniotic sac is punctured by a little plastic crochet hook. That's not till you're truly in labor, though, since you've got 24h after rupture of membranes to deliver (risk of infection goes up dramatically after that) so no one will want to do it prematurely. That's is assuming your water does not break spontaneously. Once it happens, the contractions become much more intense since your uterus has more room to squeeze and work-- it will be squeezing the baby, not the amniotic sac.

Finally, if you're GBS positive you will also be receiving IV penicillin every four hours on the dot.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq