Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Well Hugo was ranked 139 in England and Wales in 2011, so it's hardly out there. In fact it seems much more normal to me - it's much more British and the others seem more American. I think a Hugo would sound much better with all the little Olivers, Alfies and Georges than an Aniyah would. Your other names are wonderful too. In fact you seem to have a pretty similar naming style to me, so naturally I think it's wonderful.
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

Quote Originally Posted by hanniekitt View Post
    Well Hugo was ranked 139 in England and Wales in 2011, so it's hardly out there. In fact it seems much more normal to me - it's much more British and the others seem more American. I think a Hugo would sound much better with all the little Olivers, Alfies and Georges than an Aniyah would. Your other names are wonderful too. In fact you seem to have a pretty similar naming style to me, so naturally I think it's wonderful.
    I've had so many people just outright insult Hugo that I can't see myself with a son named Hugo anymore, in fact I don't think I ever could... I've never loved a name, I don't think.. At least not like other people do lol
    ws~

When people ask Hubby & I at the moment if we've got any names picked out yet my hackles automatically rise and i'm so reluctant to answer them because of the exact kind of thing you're talking about. I don't really want to share the names we've picked (though its really only for girls so far because we CAN NOT agree for a boy!). I love Rosalie & Abigail, and I don't want anyone trying to talk me out of using either name so i'm just reluctant to share until delivery when we introduce the baby to the world and it's too late for anyone to have an opinion.

Baby names are the one thing in life where you and your partner should be able to complete control and choose something you love - everyone elses opinions be damned. And honestly my thinking is that even if they don't like the name when they first hear it, by the time the baby is 6 months old they won't be able to imagine it being called anything else anyway.
    Mummy of One:
    -- Dominic Jameson: 3rd November 2013

Dom's future brother/s: Bennett, Ciaran, Elijah, Elliott, Emmett, Finnegan, Grayson, Harrison, Nathaniel, Quentin
    Dom's future sister/s: Aveline, Aven, Calla, Eleanor, Helena, Iris, Noelle, Rosalie, Sadie, Wren

I'm just gonna throw some of the less-conventional ones off my list at you and maybe they'll spark some ideas:

Girls: Adrian, Aliza, Berlin, Candida, Cosima, Decima, Harriet, Havana, Giaconda, Lorena, Mojave, Nevada, Oakley, Quincy, Reeve, Rooney, Rosamund, Salem, Seneca, Sinclair, Sonoma, Vienna, Zelda
    Boys: Beckett, Brooks, Damian, Davis, Dean (not much of an oddball but it's my favorite so it's here), Denver, Dixon, Donovan, Everett, Gordon, Hector, Hudson, Jefferson, Kincade, Lennon, Lincoln, Morrison, Nero, Osborne, Redmond, Revere, Roan, Roman, Vaughn

Aw!! Your post makes me so sad! I know what you mean though. I've casually suggested names that I absolutely LOVE to some of my friends, and they've just butchered them. So I decided to just stop telling them Once they hear it associated with your child, they are either going to love it OR silently hate it and never say anything to you about it. I love the name Hugo by the way. Don't give up on it!!
    Some of my favorite "out there" names right now are:
    [for boys: Beckett, Huckelberry, Tucker, Ryker, Finch, Holden, Mercer, Rafferty ]
    [for girls: Marlowe, Ellington, Hadley, Emerson, Greer, Ottilie, Imogen]