Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I can't find any names that I love at all

My top names were Hugo and Ophelia for such a long time, but I realised that I can't actually see myself using them.. They're just not "me", and I can't imagine saying "this is my son, Hugo" or "this is my daughter, Ophelia" to people. I just don't have a connection with the names. I feel like the only person in the naming community that doesn't have at least one set-in-stone name.. Everyone else's lists seem to stay pretty constant, with only names lower down the list changing; the top names almost always stay the same.

My friends and I were talking about what we'd name our children at school the other day, and everyone was SO sure of what they'd choose, and I just had no idea. Even with the names I kind of like, I felt ridiculous saying "I'd like to name a son Caspian and a daughter Serafina" {those were the only two I could think of, but they'd probably rank highly on my list right now if I absolutely HAD to make one}. It's not that there's anything wrong with Caspian, Serafina, Hugo, and Ophelia, it's just they're not the names I would like to use, and I just felt silly saying them because I don't think they're "me" at all.

People always tell me to find names that having "meaning" to me, like from literature or movies or something, but even with those I still can't see myself using the name because I associate it so much with the person/character. I just feel like I can find something really wrong with EVERY name

Does anyone have any random name suggestions {really, I'm open to anything right now lol} or any ideas on how to find a name I really, really love?
    Last edited by wednesdaysnow; May 26th, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
    ws~

Gailey (f). -- I know a girl with this name, yet had never heard it previously or since. I think it's so pretty.
    In current favor of...:
    Boys: Ian, John, Lincoln
    Girls: Marin, Lena, Mareina

Quote Originally Posted by dancersventure View Post
    Gailey (f). -- I know a girl with this name, yet had never heard it previously or since. I think it's so pretty.
    I'm not sure about this.. I feel like there would be a lot of teasing potential.
    ws~

It sounds like you're drawn to more literary and artistic names, but just don't feel they're really usable irl. So I'd suggest picking names that have some kind of connection to art and literature but are not overtly so.

I'm thinking of Shakespearean names that aren't "out there": Adrian, Alexander, Edmund, Edward, Henry, Leo(nardo), Malcolm, Oliver, Nathaniel, Owen, Philip, Sebastian, Miranda, Cordelia, Juliet, Celia, Eleanor, Emilia, Lavinia, Lucy, Meg, Olivia, Portia, Silvia, Viola

Jane Austen names: Jane, Elizabeth, Darcy, Emma, Harriet, Charlotte, Louisa, Maddox, Caroline, Bennet, Rose, Charles, Rebecca,

Other literary: Alice, Hugh, Jay, Beckett, Harper, Phoebe, Sawyer, Scarlett, Zooey (You're welcome to spell it the more common Zoe), Aurora, Madeline, Milo

Artist names: Marc, Joan, Maria, Cy, Andy, Frederic, Ruben, Peter, Paul, Ray, Annie, Eva, Evelyn, Lilly, Georgia, Lola

Also, just as some advice, you might find some more "out there" names as more acceptable if your partner/SO is open to them. I found that I liked certain names more that I considered kinda out there when I found out that he would consider them and was ok with them. So don't give up on Ophelia, Hugo, Caspian or Seraphina yet. Those are great names, and all really usable imho.
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by alphabetdem View Post
    It sounds like you're drawn to more literary and artistic names, but just don't feel they're really usable irl. So I'd suggest picking names that have some kind of connection to art and literature but are not overtly so.

I'm thinking of Shakespearean names that aren't "out there": Adrian, Alexander, Edmund, Edward, Henry, Leo(nardo), Malcolm, Oliver, Nathaniel, Owen, Philip, Sebastian, Miranda, Cordelia, Juliet, Celia, Eleanor, Emilia, Lavinia, Lucy, Meg, Olivia, Portia, Silvia, Viola

Jane Austen names: Jane, Elizabeth, Darcy, Emma, Harriet, Charlotte, Louisa, Maddox, Caroline, Bennet, Rose, Charles, Rebecca,

Other literary: Alice, Hugh, Jay, Beckett, Harper, Phoebe, Sawyer, Scarlett, Zooey (You're welcome to spell it the more common Zoe), Aurora, Madeline, Milo

Artist names: Marc, Joan, Maria, Cy, Andy, Frederic, Ruben, Peter, Paul, Ray, Annie, Eva, Evelyn, Lilly, Georgia, Lola

Also, just as some advice, you might find some more "out there" names as more acceptable if your partner/SO is open to them. I found that I liked certain names more that I considered kinda out there when I found out that he would consider them and was ok with them. So don't give up on Ophelia, Hugo, Caspian or Seraphina yet. Those are great names, and all really usable imho.
    I love so many vintage/old fashioned type names, but everyone I know finds them "ridiculous" and "stupid" {their words, not mine}. I mentioned to someone a few months ago that I loved the name Edmund, but they laughed in my face and said they would feel sorry for any child named Edmund. I know I shouldn't let other people's opinions influence mine, but I just wouldn't want my child to be laughed at.. Edmund reminds me of the character in the "Chronicles of Narnia" series, which was one of my favourites as a child, so it does have meaning for me, I'm just not sure if I'd use it because everyone else has practically outright insulted the name. Also, here in England, a lot of the other names are *really* popular, and I still can't decide if I want to use a name with high popularity.

From your list, though, I like: Alexander, Edmund {see above}, Henry, Leo {but I have a cousin named this so I can't use it}, Oliver, Cordelia {slightly prefer Cornelia, I think, but I feel Cordelia is more usable}, Juliet, Eleanor {very popular, especially among my age group}, Viola, Emma, Rose {I love Rose, but I'd want to use a longer form and I can never decide which I like the most}, Alice, Phoebe, Aurora, Ruben, Eva, Evelyn. Not sure if I'll add any to my top 5 right now, but they're all "maybes"! Thank you!
    ws~