Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    That's horrible! My mom and I have really different styles, and there are some names that she has completely shut down, but unless there was a really personally offensive reason to her for me not to use a name I loved, I would still use it. Once it's actually on a real child and they have a reference for it other than some kind of just theoretical child, they'll be more accepting. That's what usually happens. I've been to the UK for a summer (and I'm moving to London in September!) and I'm from the States, and it feels like the UK is more accepting of names anyway. I think you'll be fine. But I wouldn't discuss names with them…. just surprise them when you have a baby. haha!
    - current loves -
    Genevieve - Aurelia - Penelope - Clementine - Matilda - Wilhelmina - Josephine - Cordelia
    Max - Frederick - Elliot - Gus - Atticus - Felix - Theodore - Beckett - Calvin

From some names you said you liked, I thought of:

Eamon / Eamonn (m.) -- (pronounced 'Ay-Mun') is a variant of Edmund, I believe. I personally adore it.

Ailis (f). -- (pronounced Ay-liss) is close to Alice...

Ayelet (f.)

Oliver & Olivier came to my mind immediately upon reading your first post as well.

I love Caspian--One of my favorite names is Ian, so I'd probably call him by that nn a lot of the time!
    In current favor of...:
    Boys: Ian, John, Lincoln
    Girls: Marin, Lena, Mareina

Quote Originally Posted by alphabetdem View Post
    That's horrible! My mom and I have really different styles, and there are some names that she has completely shut down, but unless there was a really personally offensive reason to her for me not to use a name I loved, I would still use it. Once it's actually on a real child and they have a reference for it other than some kind of just theoretical child, they'll be more accepting. That's what usually happens. I've been to the UK for a summer (and I'm moving to London in September!) and I'm from the States, and it feels like the UK is more accepting of names anyway. I think you'll be fine. But I wouldn't discuss names with them…. just surprise them when you have a baby. haha!
    I hope so! It's just hard to imagine having a son named Edmund or Hugo that's running around with my friend's children named Rylee, Alaisa, and Aniyah {that's what they all want to name their children}. My style just feels so out of place lol
    ws~

Quote Originally Posted by wednesdaysnow View Post
    I love so many vintage/old fashioned type names, but everyone I know finds them "ridiculous" and "stupid" {their words, not mine}. I mentioned to someone a few months ago that I loved the name Edmund, but they laughed in my face and said they would feel sorry for any child named Edmund. I know I shouldn't let other people's opinions influence mine, but I just wouldn't want my child to be laughed at.. Edmund reminds me of the character in the "Chronicles of Narnia" series, which was one of my favourites as a child, so it does have meaning for me, I'm just not sure if I'd use it because everyone else has practically outright insulted the name. Also, here in England, a lot of the other names are *really* popular, and I still can't decide if I want to use a name with high popularity.
    Wow, I think you need to tell those people to be a little bit more respectful. Personally, I think Edmund is a wonderful name and I definitely wouldn't feel sorry for a little boy named Edmund, quite on the contrary. I'll tell you right now, there is nothing wrong with Edmund, it's a great, historical, British name and I'm quite positive that no one would laugh at it.

I think you should stop caring about what other people think. You're allowed to be egoistic when it comes to your favourite names because it's your favourite names. Believe me, I've heard a lot of bullshit about my favourite names (Maude in particular) but that doesn't stop me from liking them or wanna use them in the future because I think they're beautiful and no one should tell me what to do.

Some suggestions:
    Alfred, Anthony, Arthur, Christian, David, Edgar, Felix, Frederick, Hugo, James, Louis, Max, Oscar, Richard, Samuel, Theodore, Victor, Vincent.
    Abigail, Agnes, Amelia, Anna, Beatrix, Davina, Emily, Esther, Georgiana, Johanna, Josephine, Katharine, Lucy, Matilda, Nancy, Patricia, Victoria.
    Zelia • Twenty • Film, history and royalty connoisseur • I have a personal blog and one about royalty
    Exporting beautiful old Danish names, exotic Greenlandic names and Greenlandic sibling names
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor "Theo" • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Asa Edouard Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel "Tilda" • Gaia Margaret Undómiel • Asta Catherine Françoise "Shazza"

Quote Originally Posted by shvibziks View Post
    Wow, I think you need to tell those people to be a little bit more respectful. Personally, I think Edmund is a wonderful name and I definitely wouldn't feel sorry for a little boy named Edmund, quite on the contrary. I'll tell you right now, there is nothing wrong with Edmund, it's a great, historical, British name and I'm quite positive that no one would laugh at it.

I think you should stop caring about what other people think. You're allowed to be egoistic when it comes to your favourite names because it's your favourite names. Believe me, I've heard a lot of bullshit about my favourite names (Maude in particular) but that doesn't stop me from liking them or wanna use them in the future because I think they're beautiful and no one should tell me what to do.

Some suggestions:
    Alfred, Anthony, Arthur, Christian, David, Edgar, Felix, Frederick, Hugo, James, Louis, Max, Oscar, Richard, Samuel, Theodore, Victor, Vincent.
    Abigail, Agnes, Amelia, Anna, Beatrix, Davina, Emily, Esther, Georgiana, Johanna, Josephine, Katharine, Lucy, Matilda, Nancy, Patricia, Victoria.
    Thank you, I try to! Maude is a pretty name! In fact, on your babynames.com list, I actually like nearly all of the names! They're so lovely.

Thank you for the suggestions! I like Arthur, Hugo, Samuel, Theodore, Agnes, Amelia {but it's the #1 name here in England so I'm apprehensive about using it}, Anna, Georgiana, Josephine, Matilda!
    ws~