Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Is it just me?

Unhappy Is it just me?

So I really like Elena (prn. Eh-LAY-Nah) but I live in Australia and in the town I live everyone pronounces things phonetically so it would be mispronounced as Eh-LEE-NAH. I know this name is quite common in the United States. I am also guessing that based on its use on television eg. Vampire Diaries, people pronounce it instinctually and using the Spanish pronunciation, but where I live most of the residence are elderly. I just wondered how many time a little girl would have to correct people on her name. I knew an Alaina whom I am not really fond of, so that rules out that spelling; but really it seems a bit trendy anyway. So then it got me thinking, would using a grave accent over the second E work or is it pointless? I'm starting to think that if I ever use it, it'll be as a middle name. What do you think, Berries?

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

Australian here-
    Although the grave accent might help some people (who recognize what it means) I don't think it will make much of a difference. Its a lovely name though, and I think once you correct people they will get it right.
    Ingrid | Kit | Susanna | Alistair

If you're worried about Elena not being pronounced the way you want, there's always Elaina.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Aussie as well, i first saw this name as a character in a book and pronounced it phonetically but once i knew the correct pronunciation it was easy to remember, as long as ppl hear hows it pronounced its no drama..

The Spanish pronunciation is not quite eh-lay-nah. There was a post not too long ago about it. This is the Spanish pronunciation of Elena : http://www.forvo.com/search/Elena/

However, most English speakers default to Eh-lay-nah. If thats not what Elena would get you in Australia, I would use Elaina.
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14