Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ...it's believable to me that a family in 1890 might have both an Ezekiel and a Magnolia, perhaps?
    Josephine, Elizabeth/Eliza, Mabel and Margaret yes
    Christa, Magnolia, Matilda and Anneliese, no

I think the classic names work with the biblical names in that sense or you can go more hipster with some of the more ironic biblical names to use Magnolia or Matilda. But even though you like a lot of boy names you can't use many of them together.
    Sara Beth Cook wife to Ross Allen Cook 03.11.06
    Mama to Lilla Clare 12.05.09 and Vivienne Grace 03.16.12
    DH Currently Deployed will be TTC #3 Winter 2014
    Sylvie | Rosalie | Cecily | Eleanor | Isobel | Rufus | Jasper | Graham | Rupert

Okay, you got me on Anneliese, but not on Magnolia or Matilda.

I checked the SSA numbers, and Magnolia and Ezekiel were both around #500 or so in the 1880s and 90s. Magnolia peaked near 400 around 1910 and declined until it dropped off the chart in 1940. Ezekiel peaked closer to 1880 (or perhaps was even more popular before SSA rankings started), had a slower decline, almost dropped off the chart around 1940, but didn't, just flatlined near 900-1000, and started rising again in 1980s. (Actually, the bigger difference in the two charts is that Ezekiel is way more popular now than Magnolia.)

Matilda was even more popular than Magnolia, close to #100 in the 1890s.

You're right that Christa is a different style than the rest of the names. It's a family name I'm interested in using, but not hooked on. Do you think Christine fits any better?

Updated favorite sibling combination:

Magnolia Irene, Ezekiel/Ezra/Elijah Bruce, Reuben Daniel, Naomi Deborah or Anneliese Deborah, Winnifred Christine, Amos Jacob or Abraham Jacob.

Does Abraham Van S___ __um sound too rhymey, or not? Both ms, but "am" like "I am" and "um" like the sound when you are pausing to figuring out what to say.

ETA: Is it a problem that so many of my fav names are 3 syllables, when our last name is also 3? e-ZEE-kyal, nay-O-mee at least have a middle stress.
    Last edited by loisvs; June 3rd, 2013 at 08:57 AM.

I just can't see Magnolia with Ezekiel or Elijah but I love it with Ezra and Amos. Maybe it's the southerness of Magnolia or the current popularity of Ezekiel, maybe it's something about the sounds, not sure? I really like Abner and Elias with Magnolia. Solomon, Gideon or Tobias could also work.

I do think that Christine is a better fit but as long as you use it in the middle to honor someone I don't think it matters as much.
    Last edited by sarab.cook; June 3rd, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Sara Beth Cook wife to Ross Allen Cook 03.11.06
    Mama to Lilla Clare 12.05.09 and Vivienne Grace 03.16.12
    DH Currently Deployed will be TTC #3 Winter 2014
    Sylvie | Rosalie | Cecily | Eleanor | Isobel | Rufus | Jasper | Graham | Rupert

I've suggested Tobias before but DH wasn't thrilled. Elias is the name of a fairly close friend's son that was born less than a year ago, so that's out. Abner is fun, and Solomon! DH is not quite as adventurous as I am, except when he suggested Dorcas! (after his grandmother)

Thanks for some ideas!