Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    First of all- I hope you realize that this is totally normal! At 19 or 20 it is very hard to envision the next 40+ years of working life and impossible to know with any certainty whether you are making a career choice that you will be happy with in the long term. All you can do is make an educated guess.

My experience is similar to lots of others- I am 30 and I have had 3 major careers (I graduated college at 20, working in social work and was promoted several times till I was co-managing a residential foster home, then I taught special education for a few years, now I have a clinical master's degree and work as speech and language pathologist). While I have been successful in every career (success defined as doing a good job, promotions, happy bosses etc.), I haven't ever had a job that I loved being at, and at this point in my life I am very happy with that being the case.

Nursing is super flexible, high demand and fairly well paying. I wouldn't scrap it unless you have done some clinical work and are sure it isn't for you. I have a liberal arts degree (BA in sociology) and while it is very flexible I would consider the job market you are going to have to enter in a few years. The market is flooded with English majors and the like and while I definitely agree that a well-rounded liberal arts education is valuable, so is a job. Your earning potential is limited significantly without a specific skill set and while the economy is rebounding, competition is fierce. I found a job shortly after graduating from college in 2004, in my chosen career field (social services) and had my own apartment and car and insurance and whatnot. I worked 40-50 hours a week and I basically just made enough to live and pay my student loan payments, I had no savings, and had to use my credit card to do things like repair flat tires and pay co-pays. I think that is pretty typical for liberal arts new graduates. Some people are okay with that, and don't mind having 4 roommates or having to call their parents when they need a new pair of jeans but other people have higher financial goals and/or significant student debt that needs paying down.

If you are burned out on school I would strongly consider staying the course to finish a pre-professional degree now (nursing, teaching, computer science etc) so that you know you will be able to pay your bills, buy a decent car, live in the city you want to live in and begin to build financial security without having to go to grad school. Grad school is a great option but in the mean time you can support yourself and avoid the monstrous debt load that SO MANY people in their early 20s have these days. And in a few years you will know what is working and what isn't and you will have a lot of options about the kind of changes you want and can afford to make (go back to school, taking a pay-cut, have babies and stay home with your kids etc.).
    Mama to little Ramona Mae 3/2011 and Sylvie Joy born 11/2013

I suffer(ed) sort of the same thing. I started out in college on the path to a zoology major because I wanted to work with animals. Turns out I am really bad at math and chemistry so I nearly failed out and switched my major to history, which I am much better at. I pulled my GPA up to above a 3.0 and I do love learning about history, but doing some sort of career with it? I struggled with wondering if I made the right choice after making the switch because I don't want a career in history, and while it is a flexible degree that you can use in a wide range of jobs, nothing that I have thought of or had suggested to me career-wise really appeals to me. I am in my final two weeks of college now, and I have a part time job and am possibly going to get a second part time job, but I really only want to work until we can buy a house and start having kids, and then I want to be a SAHM. I don't think I am the career type, y'know? But since I have a degree I have already felt the "you need to get a real job!" stuff from family. My dad has been a big help in paying for my schooling so I feel bad not wanting to do something big and long-term with it. My mom was a SAHM who went back into a career after we were older, and I think that once I have more life experience I may be able to do that, but right now all I want to do is work when I have to and as soon as I can, be a SAHM.
    Current faves:

Melanie Anne, Caroline Olivia, William Gregory, Benjamin Patrick