Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I don't know how helpful I can be as I decided well before I left high school that I was going to be a teacher, but I will echo what Blade said. It is perfectly ok not to be defined by your job. I find fulfillment in my job, am challenged by it like nothing I have ever done before, and have made some wonderful friends. But it's just one part of who I am.

I think how you're feeling is natural. School overload happens to everyone. Hang in there!!!
    Little Bean arriving September 2014

Zoe | Noemí Esther
    Lucas Emmanuel | Levi Alexander

Adele | Adira | Arabella | Aurora | Eliana | Elizabeth | Milena | Susannah | Zara

I'm in a murky spot as well. In college (last two years of highschool in the USA I think) I hardly thought of what I wanted to do and in the end picked an university course that I do not enjoy at all. I'm halfway through the (international studies degree) and I'm still unsure how I'm going to proceed after I have finished it. Heck, I'm just going to be happy if I get into any graduate work program afterwards so I can work towards other personal goals like travelling...
    Marko | Susanna | Kit | Rosemary

I wonder if what you're feeling is anxiety at making what feels to be a lifelong commitment at 19 or 20? As Blade pointed out, you're in a pre-professional major, ideal for people who are certain of their profession, but very narrow if you're not. And right, it can be hard to commit to a profession if you haven't had practical experience in it to know whether you're going to be happy in it.

Yes, jobs can be a means to the end of a life that's satisfying in a larger way, but perhaps that's a bit cynical an approach for a college junior?

My experience is different because I was a liberal arts major and have a more freeform career. I wanted to be a writer but I majored in journalism because that was a defined job. Problem was I never liked newspapers, which was where journalism majors got hired at the time. So instead I moved to New York, worked as a waitress, and wrote short stories. Then I started working at small magazines and after a few years got hired at Glamour -- but for a job I had no training for, as a fashion editor! I eventually created a job that incorporated more of my talents and interests, and worked there for six years until I left when Linda and I sold our first name book, Beyond Jennifer & Jason.

I'm obviously someone who needs and wants my job to be very satisfying. Names were a passion of mine when I was 11 years old, and who ever would have guessed that they could become a career? But I think my interest in names and my energy for working on Nameberry a zillion hours a day comes from doing something I loved to do as a kid -- I feel that pleasure I felt as a kid making my nerdy lists of names.

And the internet hadn't even been invented when I was in college so I couldn't have prepared for this job. I guess the disadvantage as well as the advantage of a liberal arts degree is that it doesn't prepare you for a specific job. So school and work are separate things...and you end up doing jobs you never knew existed.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

I double majored in political science and writing at a small liberal arts college...I didn't exactly know what I wanted to do during college. I suppose I wanted to be a writer but was too practical to think I could make a decent living that way.

So I moved to DC after college and worked in public relations. Life intervened a few years later and I moved to New England for my husbands career. I started taking on freelance writing work to have some income while I looked for something permanent, over three years later, I'm happily self employed and writing is my "something permanent."

So I guess my main advice is that in some cases its ok not to know for sure and to wander a little. Sometimes it helps if you don't think "what do I want to do?" but rather "what do I want to do next?"
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13

I'm graduating Friday so I don't know if I'm the exact person you want to hear from but I'll share.

I was always told to go the military. The structure and command was good for me. I liked giving orders but didn't mind taking them either. So at 7 I decided I was going to the military. At 8 I moved all the bones in my leg up an inch of so during a playground accident. I forwent my rehab thinking it wouldn't affect me in the long run. By 12 my leg, my knee specifically, was in constant pain. My knee cap slid around when I ran and my meniscus was starting to tear. It took military out of the question for me from an adult stand point. I refused to believe it and my ortho told me he'd start me on a training program to try to stabilize my knee so I could attempt enlisting. By 17 my knee was better but not by much. It still slid but it slid less and it didn't shirt as much. But I stupidly injured it again while at a tournament which resulted in pulling every muscle in my leg and tearing a ligament at the back of my knee cap. I was told running could pull my meniscus out through the back of my knee and it ended my military dreams once and for all.
    From there I was lost; there was nothing else I wanted to do. So I threw myself into my school work and went on with it figuring I'd get some crappy job working 9-5 in an office that I'd hate like most.my family did. Instead I rediscovered science. Everything had a rule, it was organized and it was structured. I loved it. By my senior year I decided I would major in chemistry and a minor in criminal justice with the hope of working in a county crime lab. Then even if I was doing similar things every day there was a little bit of variation and I wouldn't be too bored. I start college in August so even if I don't love it its something I can do to provide for myself if anything happiness to my OH and I need to rely solely on myself.
    If I had a baby right now they'd be:
    Isaac
    or
    Blaire