Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Made up names?

Made up names?

What do you guys think about making up names? I personally think they can be fun to come up with, but I wouldn't use them. One thing I've noticed is that some names I've thought I "came up with" already were familiar names in different cultures. Like Leila/Layla...I thought of the name in my head years ago before I ever read or heard it in real life. Actually I haven't met a Leila yet.

So what do you guys think about made-up names? Would you use them on a kid? Also, what do you think of my username (cassyanna, but in real life I'd spell it Cassiana and pronounce it cass-ee-ah-na)? It's not my real name, but both names in it hold special meaning to me.
    Emily~Evelyn~Eveline/a~Guin/Gwenevere~Miriam~Georgina~Evey~Marion

Luca~Jeremiah~James~William~Derrik~Kyler~Noah~Sore n~Lysander~Adam

There are so many traditional names out there already, I don't see the point in making up something new. To me it smacks of laziness - like you can't be bothered to do some simple Googling or search through a name book.

The names I use in novels, however, are generally made up or almalgamations of pre-existing names but that's because I want the world I've created to feel skewed from ours.

For example, last night I named a new character Idabecca.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

Cassyana- I know a student where I teach named Cassiana. She wears it well. I think made up names are not as bad as kr8tiv spellings. The name is made up; you make the rules. But when you respell an established name it drives me up the wall. Cassiana is very pretty.
    Little Bean arriving September 2014

Zoe | Noemí Esther
    Lucas Emmanuel | Levi Alexander

Adele | Adira | Arabella | Aurora | Eliana | Elizabeth | Milena | Susannah | Zara

I don't think made up names are bad, I figure all names were made up at some point in time. But I don't like it when names look creative or don't follow the usual rules of spelling and pronunciation (like adding random extra letters or having vowels mispronounced etc)
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

I agree with the others. I don't find made-up names as irritating as weird spellings that don't make sense. They have to be approached properly though. I think they need to sound similar to other names, but be original. You know, there's a difference between Elenwen (which sounds like a legit Welsh name) and Isabethly (Isabelle/Elizabeth/with a trendy -y ending).
    I tend to make up names in my novels if I can't find something else I love. The other day, I was writing a scene and the name Elenwen just popped into my head and I said "Hmm, I don't know if that's a real name or not but I'm using it." So far, I haven't found it anywhere.

I thought I made up Elysia for a few days before I searched and saw that it was already being used. I thought "Elysian, oo maybe Elysia to convey that she's blessed enough by the gods to go to the Elysian Fields!" Then I googled >.<

As for your screen name -- I think Cassiana is lovely but not made-up. Cassiana is a type of moth. Here's the wikipedia "Cassiana is a genus of snout moths. It was described by Heinrich in 1956, and contains the species C. malacella.[1] It is found in Mexico, the southern United States,[2] the British Virgin Islands[3] Puerto Rico and Bermuda.

The wingspan is 15–17 mm. The forewings are pale greyish fuscous, although the area between the cell and the costa is white with a faint, scattered dusting of reddish scales. The hindwings are whitish, the veins outlined by dark scales, and a narrow smoky border along the termen and costa.[4]"
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Kith nor Kin -- http://kithnorkin.blogspot.com/ Chapter 30 and Epilogue is up. It's done!
    Angel's Art -- https://www.facebook.com/danteasart
    http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014