Results 1 to 5 of 6
Thread: 1900s Character Names
May 25th, 2013 10:58 AM #1
1900s Character Names
Soooo, since the story I've been working on for months has reached a standstill, I'm working on short stories to keep my mind busy. I'm on a roll with one, but I've managed to plan the whole story without much thought to character names. Help, please?
It's set 1900-1910. The more I plan it, the more I see parallels with Jane Eyre. Basically, man of the house runs off with the children's nurse in the end
- The leading guy, Mr Chapman, 35. Need a strong name for this chap who's put up with a lot of cr@p in his life. Sam, David, Andrew? Nothing feels right :/
- His wife, Mrs Chapman, 33. Increasingly distant, cold, unfeeling. Slightly mad. Ultra religious.
- The daughters, 12, 10, 9. A nasty and malicious bunch.
- The 'Jane Eyre' nurse, 29. She's not a plain Jane though. A feisty young lady.
If you get a feeling for names for any of this lot, please share! Thank you
May 25th, 2013 11:12 AM #3
Sounds cool! Jane Eyre bugs me, so this sounds like a better version of it!
Mr Chapman: Frederick, Walter, Sidney, Reginald, Lewis, Maurice, Douglas
Mrs Chapman: Mary, Edith, Ruth, Harriett, Myra, Mildred, Lydia
Florence, Margaret & Isabella
Emma, Maud & Agnes
Constance, Charlotte & Catherine
Margery, Rosetta & Theresa
Susannah, Rebecca & Elizabeth
Dorcas, Kezia, Sybil, Effie, Thirza, Polly, Olive, MayMy darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014
May 25th, 2013 11:48 AM #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- Mar 2012
I'm not checking for doubles, so if there are some, they are seconded!
- Leading man: Roland, Oscar, Edmund, Gregory or George. Or something surname-y, like Hendrick or Fairchild.
- Wife: Ruth, Victoria, Virginia, Eva, Evelyn, Mariah
- The daughters: Helen/Helena, Eva, Imogen, Grace, Gertrude, Willa
- The nurse: Katherine (goes by something else like Kitty), Theresa/Tess, Anna, Louise/Louisa, and, if she's from a really poor, odd background, I think Pepper might suit (Obviously she's going by Miss [lastname], so most anything could work without being obvious)Proud author of Kissimmee, Orlando, Mary, Adam, Mississippi, Micah, Georgette, Evelyn, and so many many more
May 25th, 2013 03:14 PM #7
Mr Chapman - Alasdair
Wife - Mary Alma / Mary Eustacia (In my mind her name was something else before, something a little more frivolous and as she became more religious she renamed herself like nuns do)
Three Daughters - Henrietta, Josephine and Philomena.
Nurse - Caroline (Caro) or Eleonora (Leo)
Last edited by renrose; May 25th, 2013 at 03:17 PM.~Boys~
Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.
Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.
Beta read my novel at: http://theselfinvention.blogspot.co.uk/ Up to 12.
May 25th, 2013 05:12 PM #9Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2012
- The leading guy, Mr Chapman, 35. I think something like Albert, Arthur, Alfred for him. I don't know, I just see him as an Al for some reason.
- His wife, Mrs Chapman, 33. Increasingly distant, cold, unfeeling. Slightly mad. Ultra religious. - I agree that she might have renamed herself Mary after the mother of Jesus. Mary Grace, Mary Ann, Mary Elizabeth.
- The daughters, 12, 10, 9. A nasty and malicious bunch. - If the mother's ultra religious I could see them having virtue names. Felicity, Verity, Grace, Constance, Virginia etc. Or names from the Bible - Ruth, Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary etc.
- The 'Jane Eyre' nurse, 29. She's not a plain Jane though. A feisty young lady. - I'd call her something pretty common and unassuming, but give her a nickname that brings out her feistiness. Catherine nn Kitty, Elizabeth nn Lizzie, Ann nn Annie, Philippa nn Pippa, Margaret nn Maggie etc.
Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George