Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1900s Character Names

Soooo, since the story I've been working on for months has reached a standstill, I'm working on short stories to keep my mind busy. I'm on a roll with one, but I've managed to plan the whole story without much thought to character names. Help, please?

It's set 1900-1910. The more I plan it, the more I see parallels with Jane Eyre. Basically, man of the house runs off with the children's nurse in the end

- The leading guy, Mr Chapman, 35. Need a strong name for this chap who's put up with a lot of cr@p in his life. Sam, David, Andrew? Nothing feels right :/

- His wife, Mrs Chapman, 33. Increasingly distant, cold, unfeeling. Slightly mad. Ultra religious.

- The daughters, 12, 10, 9. A nasty and malicious bunch.

- The 'Jane Eyre' nurse, 29. She's not a plain Jane though. A feisty young lady.

If you get a feeling for names for any of this lot, please share! Thank you
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

Sounds cool! Jane Eyre bugs me, so this sounds like a better version of it!

Mr Chapman: Frederick, Walter, Sidney, Reginald, Lewis, Maurice, Douglas

Mrs Chapman: Mary, Edith, Ruth, Harriett, Myra, Mildred, Lydia

Daughters:
    Florence, Margaret & Isabella
    Emma, Maud & Agnes
    Constance, Charlotte & Catherine
    Margery, Rosetta & Theresa
    Susannah, Rebecca & Elizabeth

The Nurse:
    Dorcas, Kezia, Sybil, Effie, Thirza, Polly, Olive, May
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I'm not checking for doubles, so if there are some, they are seconded!

- Leading man: Roland, Oscar, Edmund, Gregory or George. Or something surname-y, like Hendrick or Fairchild.

- Wife: Ruth, Victoria, Virginia, Eva, Evelyn, Mariah

- The daughters: Helen/Helena, Eva, Imogen, Grace, Gertrude, Willa

- The nurse: Katherine (goes by something else like Kitty), Theresa/Tess, Anna, Louise/Louisa, and, if she's from a really poor, odd background, I think Pepper might suit (Obviously she's going by Miss [lastname], so most anything could work without being obvious)
    Proud author of Kissimmee, Orlando, Mary, Adam, Mississippi, Micah, Georgette, Evelyn, Diane, Millicent, Maybeline, Prudence and so many many more

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    Sounds cool! Jane Eyre bugs me, so this sounds like a better version of it!
    Haha, I cried the last time I read it

My suggestions:

Mr Chapman - Alasdair

Wife - Mary Alma / Mary Eustacia (In my mind her name was something else before, something a little more frivolous and as she became more religious she renamed herself like nuns do)

Three Daughters - Henrietta, Josephine and Philomena.

Nurse - Caroline (Caro) or Eleonora (Leo)
    Last edited by renrose; May 25th, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

- The leading guy, Mr Chapman, 35. I think something like Albert, Arthur, Alfred for him. I don't know, I just see him as an Al for some reason.

- His wife, Mrs Chapman, 33. Increasingly distant, cold, unfeeling. Slightly mad. Ultra religious. - I agree that she might have renamed herself Mary after the mother of Jesus. Mary Grace, Mary Ann, Mary Elizabeth.

- The daughters, 12, 10, 9. A nasty and malicious bunch. - If the mother's ultra religious I could see them having virtue names. Felicity, Verity, Grace, Constance, Virginia etc. Or names from the Bible - Ruth, Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary etc.

- The 'Jane Eyre' nurse, 29. She's not a plain Jane though. A feisty young lady. - I'd call her something pretty common and unassuming, but give her a nickname that brings out her feistiness. Catherine nn Kitty, Elizabeth nn Lizzie, Ann nn Annie, Philippa nn Pippa, Margaret nn Maggie etc.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George