Results 1 to 5 of 6
Thread: 1900s Character Names
May 25th, 2013 09:58 AM #1Senior Member
- Join Date
- Apr 2012
1900s Character Names
Soooo, since the story I've been working on for months has reached a standstill, I'm working on short stories to keep my mind busy. I'm on a roll with one, but I've managed to plan the whole story without much thought to character names. Help, please?
It's set 1900-1910. The more I plan it, the more I see parallels with Jane Eyre. Basically, man of the house runs off with the children's nurse in the end
- The leading guy, Mr Chapman, 35. Need a strong name for this chap who's put up with a lot of cr@p in his life. Sam, David, Andrew? Nothing feels right :/
- His wife, Mrs Chapman, 33. Increasingly distant, cold, unfeeling. Slightly mad. Ultra religious.
- The daughters, 12, 10, 9. A nasty and malicious bunch.
- The 'Jane Eyre' nurse, 29. She's not a plain Jane though. A feisty young lady.
If you get a feeling for names for any of this lot, please share! Thank you
May 25th, 2013 10:12 AM #3Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jul 2012
- London, England
Sounds cool! Jane Eyre bugs me, so this sounds like a better version of it!
Mr Chapman: Frederick, Walter, Sidney, Reginald, Lewis, Maurice, Douglas
Mrs Chapman: Mary, Edith, Ruth, Harriett, Myra, Mildred, Lydia
Florence, Margaret & Isabella
Emma, Maud & Agnes
Constance, Charlotte & Catherine
Margery, Rosetta & Theresa
Susannah, Rebecca & Elizabeth
Dorcas, Kezia, Sybil, Effie, Thirza, Polly, Olive, May[FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]
May 25th, 2013 10:48 AM #5Senior Member
- Join Date
- Mar 2012
I'm not checking for doubles, so if there are some, they are seconded!
- Leading man: Roland, Oscar, Edmund, Gregory or George. Or something surname-y, like Hendrick or Fairchild.
- Wife: Ruth, Victoria, Virginia, Eva, Evelyn, Mariah
- The daughters: Helen/Helena, Eva, Imogen, Grace, Gertrude, Willa
- The nurse: Katherine (goes by something else like Kitty), Theresa/Tess, Anna, Louise/Louisa, and, if she's from a really poor, odd background, I think Pepper might suit (Obviously she's going by Miss [lastname], so most anything could work without being obvious)Proud author of Kissimmee, Orlando, Mary, Adam, Mississippi, Micah, Georgette, Evelyn, Diane, Millicent, Maybeline, Prudence and so many many more
May 25th, 2013 02:14 PM #7
Mr Chapman - Alasdair
Wife - Mary Alma / Mary Eustacia (In my mind her name was something else before, something a little more frivolous and as she became more religious she renamed herself like nuns do)
Three Daughters - Henrietta, Josephine and Philomena.
Nurse - Caroline (Caro) or Eleonora (Leo)
Last edited by renrose; May 25th, 2013 at 02:17 PM.~Boys~
Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.
Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.
Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.
May 25th, 2013 04:12 PM #9Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2012
- The leading guy, Mr Chapman, 35. I think something like Albert, Arthur, Alfred for him. I don't know, I just see him as an Al for some reason.
- His wife, Mrs Chapman, 33. Increasingly distant, cold, unfeeling. Slightly mad. Ultra religious. - I agree that she might have renamed herself Mary after the mother of Jesus. Mary Grace, Mary Ann, Mary Elizabeth.
- The daughters, 12, 10, 9. A nasty and malicious bunch. - If the mother's ultra religious I could see them having virtue names. Felicity, Verity, Grace, Constance, Virginia etc. Or names from the Bible - Ruth, Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary etc.
- The 'Jane Eyre' nurse, 29. She's not a plain Jane though. A feisty young lady. - I'd call her something pretty common and unassuming, but give her a nickname that brings out her feistiness. Catherine nn Kitty, Elizabeth nn Lizzie, Ann nn Annie, Philippa nn Pippa, Margaret nn Maggie etc.
Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George