Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I love the name Ransom. It's in my Top Five on my dream list for boys. I love it because of the Christian overtones enhanced by Lewis's Space Trilogy. As far as it being a "realistic name," it does have a history of usage, though small. (And has anybody seen "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"? Jimmy Stewart's character's name is Ransom, nn Rance. I like the idea of Ram, btw.) Besides being a word name, it's a patronymic surname meaning "Ranulf's son," so its historic use is probably because of that fact.

I might want to ask around a bit IRL before using it, to see how many people automatically think of "being held for ransom" first off. I don't feel it's as over-the-top macho as Maverick, Rex or Chance, but it does give off a bit of a swaggering, pirate vibe. It is difficult to find a good middle name, because it usually sounds like you're saying "we need to ransom George," etc. My favorite mn with Ransom so far is Horatio.

Best wishes!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

Quote Originally Posted by auroradawn View Post
    (And has anybody seen "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"? Jimmy Stewart's character's name is Ransom, nn Rance.
    Thank you!!! It was really bothering me, as I knew I'd heard this name somewhere else and couldn't remember where... "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is an amazing film, and was a childhood favourite of mine. Jimmy Stewart's character was such a model friend. I went from liking this name to perhaps even loving it... Although I do question whether or not it's usable outside of the South (as most of the love seems to be coming from Southerners, like myself)...
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

I don't have a problem with this. Not one I would choose, but it feels very cowboy to me, and I love cowboy names.

Quote Originally Posted by tfzolghadr View Post
    Thank you!!! It was really bothering me, as I knew I'd heard this name somewhere else and couldn't remember where... "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is an amazing film, and was a childhood favourite of mine. Jimmy Stewart's character was such a model friend.
    You're welcome. It is a great film. I recently saw it for the first time, and for me it became another reason to love the name Ransom. I'd also think it would give the name another popular association.
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

I like Ransom, if you feel bad try liking Bandit as a name [which I do!]...now can't get worse then that ....lol I love it a lot, but it does make me hesitate [Bandit i mean].
    Current Favorite Names
    ♀ Monet | Monroe | Celsius (MN) | Malachi | Chai | Iowa
    ♂ Celsius (MN) | Monroe | Andrew