Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thank you guys soo much! I never realized by using a family name he can grow up with a reason of why we chose his name. I loved hearing stories about my poppy and his days in war. So to explain that to our future child whether it is a boy or girl would be a amazing. I appreciate the input. I was nervous as to what combo would work and I am glad you suggest Anton Leo. I really can not believe I did not think of that.
    TTC #1
    Hoping to have a little Ragazzo or Ragazza soon.

Quote Originally Posted by teacherma View Post
    Exactly! This happened a great deal in my family too (especially in the Polish and Italian lines), which is why I was curious to see how close to the original it was. For example, my great-grandmother was Annunziata, and became Nancy. Bronislava became Bertha. Liboria became Lillian. And somehow, Flaminio became Flemming and Calogero became James.
    It is so bizarre to me! Even the names you listed has nothing to do with their given names. It blows my minds how they come up with something really not closely related when now a days almost majority or new names or nicknames are super close to the given name. I 100% Italian so I know all about that! Thank you for sharing that little history about your family names. It is interesting to see how they received names just like my poppy did. I love it and to be able to explain to my son (if we have one) would be amazing.
    TTC #1
    Hoping to have a little Ragazzo or Ragazza soon.

I prefer Anton Grey because I think it would suit all kinds of a person. For example a banker, a scientist, a postman and a teacher. Whereas Maverick is quite a tough name which makes me think of a bully.

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett13001 View Post
    It is so bizarre to me! Even the names you listed has nothing to do with their given names. It blows my minds how they come up with something really not closely related when now a days almost majority or new names or nicknames are super close to the given name. I 100% Italian so I know all about that! Thank you for sharing that little history about your family names. It is interesting to see how they received names just like my poppy did. I love it and to be able to explain to my son (if we have one) would be amazing.
    I think the idea of being viewed as "American" was very important, so having an common, everyday name that typical Americans didn't struggle with was greatly desired (another example that I forgot to mention, my grandmother was named Emilia and never changed her name because it was easily recognized, but her younger sister/my great-aunt was born Giorgetta and has always gone by Georgette even to this day. I only found out about her birth name a few years ago and she said she hated it because it was so awkward, which is a real shame).

I am also drawn to family names because they can serve as a wonderful introduction to heritage and personal history. Good for you for considering Anton Leo and blending both sides of your child's family history.
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Leonie

I like Anton Leo a lot!
    ☂nana [24]☂
    mama to pit bulls [z&m]
    ttc ; fiona kathleen, sinead frances or finnegan michael, sullivan james