Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Irmine: Yea or nay?

Tossing around the idea of naming our first child Irmine (if the little babe turns out to be a girl). Nick-names abound; there's the obvious, Irma, but also Mina or Irminie.

Preliminary searches on the usual suspect sites have not yielded much. What do you all think? First impressions, etc.?

Not really a fan. It sounds like it should be a kind of insect...
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Are you of German heritage? How are you pronouncing it? Two syllables (ER-man) or three syllables (German "EER-min-uh")? Irmine sounds heavy and "dated" to me (akin to Bertha, Hermine, Irma, Hildegard, Ermentrude/Irmingarde/Irmgard and Gertrude). Have you considered Wilhelmina nn Mina or even Ismene? Also, if you change the first letter to an "E", the name becomes Ermine which is a weasel. It's soft fur is used to make coats and other clothing.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

My first impression is Ermine. I would pronounce them the same way so the image I get is of Venus in Furs. It reminds me of Sable. I see some appeal in both names, but I don't think they're that usable. The fur coat image is kind of sexy, lush, wintery cold/cozy warm...but I also think of weasels & of PETA.

I like the idea of Irma or Mina though. Irma on it's own or in a hyphenated combo would be sweet. Wilhelmina could get you to Mina. I would suggest Carmilla, Carmella, Varvara, Delphine, Edna, Evangeline, Francine, Galina, Janine, Lorraine, Marina, Maren, Karen, Marietta, Marielle, Nancy, Opaline, Patricia, Patrice, Serena, Salma, Selma, Salome, Thais, Teal, Verona, Philomena?

Yeah looks like ermine to me. I like Irma though. Or Ermintrude if you wanted more nickname potential.