Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Renaming Irene

Renaming Irene

So, I have a character born circa 1922, a New York college co-ed in my novel set in 1941. She is ash blonde and pleasantly plump. She's the main costume person for the school's drama club and the quieter, more level-headed "best friend" of the club's biggest drama queen. Her name was supposed to be Irene Simpson, but her friend's name is Maxine, and I've decided that maybe the rhyming of their names is too much. She is in love with another character named Felix.

Other options for Irene:

Verna
    Bernice (nn Binnie?)
    Ida

I am looking for a definite "old lady" name. Any other suggestions?

pet peeves: nicknames as given names; unconventional spellings; masculine names on girls
    not-so-guilty pleasures: five-syllable girls' names; virtue and nature names; over-the-top antique names for boys
    (if i repeat name suggestions in a thread, it's because i like them! no apologies here for repeats of great names! )

IF YOU LOVE IT, USE IT!

I like Ida Simpson.

Others...

Ermengarde (Ermie)
    Nancy
    Eugenia (Genie)
    Gertrude (Gertie)
    Hortensia
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I think Ida Simpson would work, though if you like the name Irene, you might have to change Maxine to something else like Charlotte.

Ida is good, could also be Ada if you don't like that.
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski

Other ideas:

Doris
    Shirley
    Lois
    Gladys
    Dolores
    Edna
    Ethel
    Agnes
    Bertha
    Opal

Source: Behindthename.com Popularity List from 1920s
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell, Sonia, Talia, Leonie