Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gatsby

Fine as a middle name.
    ♥ Margaret Mary ♥
    19. Name nerd. College freshman.

~ Eliza Josephine ~ Esther Christabel ~ Harriet Aurelia ~ Mary Jessamine ~ Rose Georgina ~ Sarah Margaret ~
    ~ Asher Benedict ~ Gabriel Walter ~ John Constantine ~ Noah August ~ Reuben Alexander ~ Samuel Ernest ~

The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books, and I loved Jay Gatsby, so I've always thought about possibly using him as a namesake. Now, I haven't read the book since high school, so I just remember loving him and remember him being a misunderstood character. I got the same feeling from the new movie (I have also seen the Robert Redford version, but not in a long time) and loved Gatsby just as much as I remember loving him when I read it. So I'm surprised by people saying he's not a good namesake. I will have to re-read it and re-visit my thoughts, I guess.

As a name on its own, it is only associated with the novel/movie(s) and if you're okay with that, then use it. I have considered using it as a middle name, but since then I have decided that I would only use Jay or James to honor the character, if I used it at all. If you really do love the name and want to use it, I would suggest it only in the middle spot.
    Girls: Cordelia, Phoebe, Rose

Boys: Lucian, Alexander, Liam

I don't think it's pretentious as some posters do, but I can't imagine why anyone would name their child after Jay Gatsby. He's a fascinating but dishonorable character. Save it for a puppy.
    Silas ~ Gideon ~ Lincoln ~ Ezekiel ~ Malachi ~ Samuel ~ Ezra ~ Charlie ~ Gabriel ~ Elliott
    Maisie ~ Sophie ~ Naomi ~ Willa ~ Evangeline ~ Freya ~ Vivienne ~ Nora ~ Josephine ~ Daphne

I'm not against people using the name after the character, I just don't like it, personally. I don't like the sound of it. I prefer Jay, but it's a bit boring. I love that Fitzgerald used the name Jordan, for a female character (in the 1920s!) and would love to use it if it wasn't associated with other Jodan's and wasn't so popular.

I'm not against naming your children after fictional characters at all, but giving your son the one-of-a-kind surname of a well-known literary figure in a classic novel crosses the line between cool and pretentious. Just don't. Any name that will forever have "the great" attached to the front of it is too much.
    Last edited by southern.maple; May 25th, 2013 at 03:34 AM.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine