• Emmeline

39 92.86%
  • Emmaline

3 7.14%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Still looking

Hybrid View

Still looking

I've finally got DH to see a little reason in that we shouldn't use Elena since our niece is Delana, even though it makes us sad, haha.

He has moved on a little and likes Emmeline. He wants to pronounce it 'Emma-line' (like Caroline) and I asked a couple of friends and this is how they pronounce it as well (we are the southern US, so I expected this).

I know that Emmeline is the 'traditional' spelling, but to me it reads as 'em-line' and Emmaline reads as we are pronouncing it..? What are your thoughts on this?

Also, we still want to use Elaine, so it would be Emmaline Elaine V., lots of L's and E's.... unless someone has a suggestion on how to still honor Elaine with this name?

I like both spellings! I know this isn't much help, haha. I don't think the traditional spelling looks too much like 'em-line' so I think you'd be okay going with that.

I don't think anyone would mispronounce Emmeline. The traditional spelling is much nicer.
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I would pronounce Emmeline as emma-leen and Emmaline as emma-line (there doesn't seem to be much logic to that, does there...). I live in Ontario, Canada though so it may be a regional thing. I do find Emmaline Elaine really repetitive because there are so many of the similar sounds- almost redundant. Actually, at a stretch I think Emmaline would honour Elaine- it has all the letters in Elaine, and if you switch the "a" and "l" in Emmaline they would be in the right order.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Portia, Felicity, Juliet, Scarlett
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Definitely Emmeline. I adore Emme spelling, haha.
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair | Lucias
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Stellan | Amias